Tuesday, 1 February 2011

My first ever guest blog when testing 100mph rhubarb and cardomom batter cake by Vanessa Kimbell - recipe

My first ever attempt at blogging as a guest for Vanessa Kimbell, testing a recipe for her new book called Prepped...read on...

I'm not sure how I came across Vanessa Kimbell on Twitter, but a soon as I found her my curiosity was grabbed by her blog and the recipes she has devised. She seems to put together a really intriguing mix of ingredients, you know the type of things some of which you would never think would 'go well together' but when put in a recipe sounds (and looks) utterly scrummy?

I think I was also struck by the new years resolutions she has, particularly as all but one were the same as on my list for this year,  freaky!

Anyway, despite not meeting the criteria of being a food blogger, I offered, was asked and agreed to test the '100mph Rhubarb & Cardamom Batter Cake' recipe for Vanessa, this recipe will appear in her new book 'Prepped' out in June.

The beauty of all the recipes in this new book is that they sort of cross over from one into another,  so you make one recipe, and it has elements that can be used in another. Multi tasking and time saving cooking with added benefits I call it! An interesting twist.

A further interesting twist is this is my very first attempt at blogging, albeit as a guest. Other more experienced and proficient foodie bloggers are also trialling and reporting back on the recipes, I have seen the results of a number of these and they sound and look really nice, the chocolate ones look particularly amazing.

This recipe, originally from Vanessa's mum, goes like this:

100mphttps://sites.google.com/site/heavenplatterprinter/home/100mph-rhubarb-and-cardomom-batter-cake-by-vanessa-kimbell-of-preppedh Rhubarb & Cardamom Batter Cake Printable Recipe

Batter
230g self-raising flour
1 pinch of salt
50ml rapeseed oil
50g Cardamom sugar
220ml whole milk
1 egg
120g rhubarb, chopped
For the topping
4 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon or ginger powder
75g chopped walnuts


Thanks to our girlies (our 5 adopted ex battery hens) for the fresh eggs! There will be more about the girlies soon.

Method:
1 Preheat the oven to 175˚C/gas mark 4.
2 Put the flour, salt, oil, sugar, milk and egg into a bowl and mix well.
3 Put the ingredients for the topping into a jam jar and shake well.
4 Pour the batter into a low, wide greased baking tin. Top with the chopped rhubarb.
5 Sprinkle the topping from jar evenly over the top and bake in the oven for 18–20 minutes.

Suggestions from the draft 'Prepped' book to go with this and as an alternative...
Serve it straight from the oven with Cardamom Custard (see page xxx) for pudding
Swap the plain sugar for Vanilla Sugar (page xxx) and use 3 small chopped cooking apples instead of rhubarb to make a vanilla and apple batter cake.
Use pears or plums instead of rhubarb to make a cardamom and pear (or plum) batter cake

I did not have cardamom sugar to hand so I crushed open a couple of pods, discarded the husks, ground the seeds (in a pestal and mortar) and added this to 50g of brown caster sugar.

But you can easily make a jar of cardamon sugar by putting a hand full of cardamom pods and a bag of sugar in a sealed jar - leave for 4 weeks to infuse. Then you always have it on hand to add to coffee, cakes, custards and the like.

I actually made this twice as I had enough fresh rhubarb for two goes, I timed myself the second time round and it took me 12 minutes to make from scratch and that included chopping the rhubarb. Now that's a quick and delicious cake/pudding, and there was hardly any clearing up. I think this is the quickest thing I ever made.

We loved it and had it cold after lunch, there's something about the batter flavour of this cake that makes it stand out for me. We will have more later as a pudding with custard, I am testing the second one I made on colleagues at work tomorrow, lucky them!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a wonderful post Susan !!! What a lovely thing to read! Thank you !!! Thank you !!!

    Your photo's are fabulous and here you have your own wonderful account of your lovely creations!

    Will you email me your address so I can ask you to the Launch?

    Best

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x