Friday, 12 August 2011

Victoria Sponge Cake with Cardamom, Rose Cream & Rhubarb - recipe


This is one of the cakes I made for our first South Lancashire Clandestine Cake Club  this week.

The recipe comes from Prepped by Vanessa Kimbell and was actually tested earlier this year by Ruth Clemens (of the GBBO and Pink Whisk fame). If you don't know already, Ruth is the face of national baking week (17th to 23rd October), more about that another time! 


 

I found it impossible to get hold of rose essence for this cake, so I substituted two cap fulls of rose water instead.

Rose water is much easier to get hold of, lots of supermarkets stock it and indian and polish food shops tend to sell it too.








The rhubarb jam for the filling was bought from my local
market in Chorley, and had some lovely chunks of rhubarb in it.
  










The top of the cake is decorated with icing, white chocolate curls (made easily with a vegetable peeler and bar of white chocolate, and on this occasion a white chocolate fondant icing rose (home made by yours truly). I mention this as everyone at CCC asked me what it was? The white chocolate fondant to make this lovely rose was bought here.

I did have a stab at some home made crystallised rose petals just for the sake of decoration for the cake plate.

I have made this cake quite a few times now and always enjoy it immensely, the mix of flavours is really something very special.I chose to make this cake for CCC quite a few weeks ago, as it was a recipe I knew I could trust and I thought it would be a popular cake club choice; and since then and luckily for me the 'we should cocoa' challenge for this month is ROSE, chosen by Choclette so this is my contribution.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like my sort of cake. It's a really unusual combination with the rhubarb and rose. And your chocolate rose is brilliant. I bet this tasted fantastic. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a real 'wow' cake- I only wish I could have attended the CCC! I'm so impressed with the chocolate rose too- when I tired to make one ages ago I was told: 'interesting decorations with those blobs of chocolate there!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all your comments, as I said above I have made this cake a few times now and it is really good. Vanessa has quite a skill with flavour combinations in her recipes.

    Nice to get a comment too from someone who has actually tried the cake pictured for real, other than me!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was gorgeous! I was very surprised as I wasn't sure on the cardamom at first, but it was so light and refreshing and, I wish I had stolen a bigger piece to take home now lol

    Thanks again Sue (and Vanessa for the the recipe)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow looks amazing. Beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x