Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Chocolate chunk biscuits - recipe


One day in the not to distant past, I did something a lot of people would find unforgivably bad. But I couldn't help myself you see, the temptation was just too great, every time I opened the fridge it was staring at me, begging me almost. I realise now I was weak, and it was a moment of utter madness...the Great British Bake Off was on TV at the time and I think I had delusions of becoming the new Lancastrian Pink Whisk (I can never match Ruth's skills and creativity, I know it deep down) or maybe I just had the urge for something heavenly to devour eat while watching the programme?
Anyway I succumbed...I caved in, with a bit of hesitation, for a few nano seconds minutes and I did the unforgivable...I actually used part of one of those huge Hotel Chocolat slabs of chocolate (the caramel one with the choccie buttons on the top and the caramel pieces set into the chocolate) to make...BISCUITS! I know no one will believe this but yes I actually did, I used some of the tastiest chocolate ever to make biccies...but oh they were so worth it! I remember the slab well it was a caramel and co one, always a popular choice in this household as 'someone' likes to pull the buttons off and eat them.

Confessions aside, and this is a true story, the resulting biscuit was a joy, the chocolate chunks stayed gooey, moist and rich and added so much to the finished loveliness of it all. They were gone in a flash.
Here is the recipe...if you dare to spare the chocolate you really won't be disappointed.

Ingredients:
225g butter
285g light brown sugar
2 free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
310g plain flour
4 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of sea salt
150g dark chocolate chopped
150g of a Hotel Chocolat mega bar (I know, I know!)
100g white chocolate chopped
Method:
1. Line a baking sheet and pre heat the oven to 160C fan.
2. Cream the butter and sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy, then add the beaten free range eggs and vanilla with a tablespoon of the flour. Fold in the remaining flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder.
3. Add the dark chocolate and the Hotel Chocolat and fold in to mix thoroughly.
4. Take tablespoons of the mix and form these into balls. To make smaller biscuits use a dessert spoon as a measure. Place the balls of dough on the lined baking tray and make sure you leave plenty of space for spreading.
5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, they will be soft when they come out of the oven so leave to cool a while before placing on a baking rack (or directly onto a plate).

NB: These views are mine. I was not paid by Hotel Chocolat to make this recipe, or write this, the ingredients used were all purchased by me.

Hotel Chocolat have, however, very recently sent me some goodies to try from their new Christmas range (rest assured some of this chocolate will be biscuit bound sometime very soon, sorry Choccie Rudolph!).

By the way...if you can work out how these biscuits are seemingly levitating in these photographs please feel free to leave a comment to explain this phenomenon below?

4 comments:

  1. Obviously they are as light as a feather and blew away ( in to my tummy !).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems a great way of eeking out those delicious bars a bit further. actually I'm torn, I don't know which I'd prefer - both I think ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and me girl, I am just the same, the fridge opens and stuff leers at me and begs me to eat it, and I always do!
    Mega lovely looking biscuits though....
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. No shame in baking the slab into your biccies ... least not in my book ;0)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x