Tuesday, 22 November 2011

Toffee apple topped chocolate marble cake - recipe


We should cocoa...this months challenge hosted by Chele, at Chocolate Teapot has been going round in my head for weeks...chocolate and apples...apples and chocolate...milk chocolate...dark chocolate...white chocolate...anyway not an obvious pairing...to me anyway! What to make?

I tried one recipe a couple of weeks ago but was not too impressed with the outcome, and if I don't like a recipe I won't write about it. But, small consolation, the hens enjoyed them (white chocolate and apple muffins)...but then hens like a dry crumb obviously!
So I have sort of invented this...its just Ruth Clemens marble cake recipe adapted and added to a bit and it was quite nice...especially prettied up with more chocolate and cake glitter...well it is nearly Christmas!
Ingredients:
200g butter
200g golden caster sugar
125g self raising flour
50g plain flour
4 free range eggs
50g cocoa powder
1 eating apple
100g dark brown sugar
Melted dark chocolate to decorate (glitter optional)
Method:
1. Start by lining a loose bottom cake tin and pre heat the oven to 160c fan.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy then add the beaten eggs, with each egg add a spoonful of the mixed flours. Once the eggs are mixed in add the remainder of the flour.
3. Take half of this mix and put this in a bowl to the other half add the cocoa powder mix to combine.
3. Peel and slice the apple then put it in a bowl with the dark brown sugar, mix the two together. Place the sliced and sugar coated apples on the bottom of the lined cake tin in one layer. Then add big spoonfuls of the plain sponge and alternate with the chocolate sponge mix.
4. Level the top of the cake and make a slight hollow in the centre. Take a skewer and run this through the batter in the tin in ever decreasing circles (this will help create the marble effect).
5. Bake for an hour but test the centre with a skewer. Once the cake has cooled remove the outer edge of the tin, level off the top with a sharp knife, then turn out by inverting the cake onto a plate.
6. Drizzle with melted chocolate (about 6 squares will do and to get this bark effect just drizzle from a small spoon back and forth), sprinkle with cake glitter and cut to serve.

19 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely stunning! I'm sure it tastes divine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It looks burnt I think (LOL) its not though its the chocolate mix in the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks (and sounds) like my sort of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will swap you a slice of your cake with mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps does not look burnt at all - love the idea and the swirly pattern

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, this looks stunning... what an excellent idea... i'm on my way round...

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHAT are you trying to do to me?! This is MY kinda cake darlink and I am not pleased that you did not save me a slice......Lush!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow wonderful cake great combo apples and chocolate pleased to mett and follow you too

    rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow..sounds scrumptiously tasty..
    new to your space..excellent posts with lipsmacking cliks.
    love your perfect presentation..
    Am your happy follower now..;)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great! You have very well fed hens btw!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow-eeee! This looks one mighty fine cake Sue....Please may I come round for tea?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue,

    Ive just spent the last hour or so really enjoying your blog, its clear alot of passion has gone into it, fantastic, Its made me want to tie my apron on and head back to the kitchen this evening.
    Ben x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just to say thanks you to everyone who took the time to comment above...love reading all the comments you leave here. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, I may have left it a bit late, but can I join your tea party too? Your cake looks so impressive and I love how you've used the glitter. As ever your pictures are wonderful and the cake doesn't look in the least bit burnt. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to have two attempts at this challenge, though I suspect you're hens are quite grateful ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow Sue - what a fantastic way to combine apple and chocolate and looks great too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really appreciate everyone's comments on this cake...thanks everyone...I took it to London on the train to finish it off and it travelled really well! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm actually from the UK too Sue, just have a love of all things American! and you're right you can't got those ice cream makers over here...but I figure Santa travels the world, he could pick one up in the States and drop it with me here! That marble cake looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x