1 whole Panettone (if you are greedy like us, use a supermarket home baked one they are fine for this and quite cheap, think of the current ad on TV PAN...EEE...TONE...EEE)
6 free range eggs
3/4 pint of milk
100g cinnamon sugar (made by pouring sugar into a jar, add cinnamon sticks and shake periodically OR use ground cinnamon and sugar mixed)
1. Grease an oven proof dish. Pre heat the oven to 160C fan.
2. Slice the Panettone and butter on both sides, lay into the oven proof dish side by side. Sprinkle liberally with the cinnamon sugar.
3. Beat the eggs with the milk until mixed then pour this over the Panettone, squash the bread down into the egg/milk mix to ensure its coated.
4. Bake in the pre heated oven for about 25 minutes.
5. Serve warm or cold with custard, cream, or ice cream.
This is one of those puddings you can really add anything else to and it will be fabulous and change the flavours and textures to make it very special...some suggestions are...
Fruity - any dried fruits, sultanas, rasins, dates, apricots, dried cranberries, add between the bread slices.
Spicy - add nutmeg, all spice, cloves, or a mix of your favourites.
Citrus - add a grated clementine, grated zest of lemon and or orange between the bread slices, or use orange water
Nutty - sprinkle the top and/or between the bread slices with chopped hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans.
Boozy - add rum, brandy, cointreau, Baileys to the egg mix before pouring on.
Merry Christmas from me and from our ex battery hens who are still laying well and giving us the best tasting eggs ever, perfect for dishes like this.