Thursday, 22 December 2011

Bread and Butter Panettone Pudding - recipe

This recipe originated from using up leftovers after Christmas (not sure which celebrity chef Christmas Special it was now?) but we love it so much more than Panetone itself we just buy a Panettone to make the pudding. Why not?
Ingredients:
1 whole Panettone (if you are greedy like us, use a supermarket home baked one they are fine for this and quite cheap, think of the current ad on TV PAN...EEE...TONE...EEE)
6 free range eggs
3/4 pint of milk
100g butter
100g cinnamon sugar (made by pouring sugar into a jar, add cinnamon sticks and shake periodically OR use ground cinnamon and sugar mixed)
Method:
1. Grease an oven proof dish. Pre heat the oven to 160C fan.
2. Slice the Panettone and butter on both sides, lay into the oven proof dish side by side. Sprinkle liberally with the cinnamon sugar.
3. Beat the eggs with the milk until mixed then pour this over the Panettone, squash the bread down into the egg/milk mix to ensure its coated.
4. Bake in the pre heated oven for about 25 minutes.
5. Serve warm or cold with custard, cream, or ice cream.
This is one of those puddings you can really add anything else to and it will be fabulous and change the flavours and textures to make it very special...some suggestions are...
Fruity - any dried fruits, sultanas, rasins, dates, apricots, dried cranberries, add between the bread slices.
Spicy - add nutmeg, all spice, cloves, or a mix of your favourites.
Citrus - add a grated clementine, grated zest of lemon and or orange between the bread slices, or use orange water
Nutty - sprinkle the top and/or between the bread slices with chopped hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans.
Boozy - add rum, brandy, cointreau, Baileys to the egg mix before pouring on.

Merry Christmas from me and from our ex battery hens who are still laying well and giving us the best tasting eggs ever, perfect for dishes like this.

13 comments:

  1. You've convinced me... I've just come back from an Italian restaurant and was staring at the Panetone all evening thinking it would make a great bread and butter pudding! I may go back and get one and try your recipe!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread and butter pudding is such a yummy classic. Bet it's even better made with panettone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bread and buttervpudding, I bet this would be delicious made with buttery pannetone. Great hen hats! GG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love bread and butter pudding and this looks fabulous! Wishing you, your family and your hens a very happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well is there anything better than a bread and butter pudding made from something other than bread and butter. It's like the Christmas novelty record of the pudding world. My favourite is banana bread bread and butter pud but I must say this panettone version is a very close second!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic stuff! I have, in the distant past, made the "bloke's" version that involves a little extremely tangy marmalade.

    Bread pudding is proper food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE panetone B and B pudding and yours looks LUSH!
    Merry Christmas my Lancashire Hot Pot!
    XXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bread pudding is so delicious and comforting, I bet this holiday version is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore bread and butter pudding but I've never made it with Panetone before. Great idea ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! Love panettonne, though somehow missed having one this Christmas :(

    I do love b&b pudding, am sure even better with this as the bread in it!

    P.s. The aubergine bhaji recipe is here http://anneskitchen1.blogspot.com/2010/04/gorgeously-spiced-aubergine-bhajis-with.html

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sue,
    My husband is not a big fan of bread and butter pudding, but mde with panettone, I think he may just be swayed. thanks for the recipe. Wishing you a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks killer! My husband loves panettone and gets one every Christmas ... leftovers would make an excellent 'dessert for two'! Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i LOVe bread and butter pudding its so cosey :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x