Monday, 12 December 2011

Fruit and Nut Christmas Mince Pies - recipe

Yes its predictable and yes its a mince pie recipe...not going to claim these are the best ever in the world, or this is a handed down recipe from generations, or its my own mincemeat, as none of these claims may apply (but I have made my own mincemeat in the past, and these are VERY good honest!).
I found a recipe for something like this in a little tiny book, I liked the sound of them, tried them with what I had in the cupboard my twist and the rest is...a really lovely mince pie and...well a few more calories on the hips really (and its not really even Christmas yet!). 
Ingredients:
Filling:
1 jar shop bought mincemeat of your choice
100g dried apricots chopped
100g dried cranberries
1 dessert spoon of (I used Neilson Massey) orange blossom water
1 generous tablespoon of Calvados (maybe 2..well its Christmas!)
Pastry:
225g plain flour
75g ground hazelnuts
80g icing sugar
2 teaspoons mixed spice
185g chopped cold butter (unsalted)
1 free range egg yolk beaten
2 tsp iced water
Method: 
Pre heat the oven to 170c fan. You will need 2 small sized 12 hole cake tins.
1. Take a jar of mincemeat and empty the contents into a bowl and then add about 100g of chopped dried apricots, 100g dried cranberries. Mix everything together and add a dessert spoon of orange water and a generous tablespoon (or two) of Calvados. Leave to absorb the liquid while you make the pastry.
2. In a food processor put the hazelnuts in and whizz until they are finely ground. Add the icing sugar, plain flour, mixed spice and pulse to mix. Add the cubed butter and pulse to mix. Then add through the spout, the beaten egg yolk combined with 2 teaspoons of water.
When the dough forms a ball take out and knead to bring it together, wrap and leave in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
3. After the pastry has rested roll it out, it can be quite sticky so keep your rolling area well floured. Cut out rounds and place in the tins to make the mince pie bases, fill each base with a teaspoon of mincemeat.
Brush the edges of the pastry bases with water then add a top, cut from the remaining pastry. Make sure the edges are sealed and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
4. Once cooked remove and allow to cool before dusting with icing sugar, serve warm or cold.
 This will yield about 18 small mince pies. I loved this recipe, but if I made it again I would toast the hazelnuts first for even more of a nutty flavour.
The recipe for the pastry for these pies came from the Australian Women's Weekly book called 'Christmas Minatures'...its a tiny little almost pocket size book with some hidden gems.

This is my entry for tea time treats where the theme is...CHRISTMAS.

9 comments:

  1. Mmmn, they look delicious. I love the idea of adding apricots, hazelnuts, and cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they look very good indeed. I'm yet to make mince pies yet but I can hear them calling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A GREAT Tea Time Treats entry Sue and I DO love a good mince pie! I also LOVE your plate too....Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look lovely. Hazelnut pastry is delicious, although I've only made it with roasted hazelnuts before. Planning on making mince pies or at least the pastry for mince pies tomorrow - having a tea party on Friday, so this is very timely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hola te felicito porque haces unos postres realmente exquisitos,me hago seguidora te n vito a que conozcas el mio,un besote

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't find your e-mail sorry - bhaji link is http://anneskitchen1.blogspot.com/2010/04/gorgeously-spiced-aubergine-bhajis-with.html x

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look wonderful, I've never had or heard of hazelnut pastry before how unusual one for me to try next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These sound devine! Love the hazelnuts in the pastry and the idea of jazzing up store bought mincemeat. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x