Thursday, 26 January 2012

Meatballs with Haggis - recipe

We had some leftover Haggis from Burns night. Leftovers in this household means a whole new meal that we often enjoy as much if not more than the original 'feast'. The Haggis I had bought from my local butcher was turned into a delicious meatball and pasta supper.

Ingredients:
Meatballs:
200g lean mince pork
200g lean minced beef
leftover Haggis (I used about half a medium one)
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely minced
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
150g Parmesan cheese finely grated
1 free range egg
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
sea salt
black pepper
Tomato sauce:
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic finely minced
1 stick celery chopped
Tbsp olive oil
sea salt
black pepper
1 tin chopped or plum tomaotes
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 180c fan. Drizzle a baking tray with olive oil.
2. Finely chop the leftover Haggis. Mix this with the minced beef and minced pork, add the chopped onion, minced garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs. Mix well in a large bowl, use your hands to do this and then add the egg and mix again.
3.  Roll individual pieces of the mix into balls, you can make these big or small depending on what you prefer. Place on the tray. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, turn after 10 minutes.
4. Make the tomato sauce. Sweat a chopped onion, a chopped stick of celery and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add the tinned tomatoes and seasoning and simmer for about 20 minutes. Use a stick blender to pulse the sauce, and pass through a sieve if you like your sauce smoother and finer.
5. Add the cooked meatballs to the tomato sauce and let them simmer while you cook the pasta. Serve hot with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
(If you have any meatballs left over they make a great sandwich inside a baguette or roll)

Serve with whatever pasta you like, we had spaghetti.

5 comments:

  1. Oh god how amazing... this really pleases me in so many ways... although I eat quite a bit of meat I rarely make meatballs and these look stunning... pasta and meatballs... genius meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds rather good...I think haggis is like pre-spiced meatball mix;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I really like the sound of this, I love haggis and so does everyone in my family. I've bookmarked this recipe for next time I have leftover haggis :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks fantastic.

    I will definitely be giving it a go with a bit an Indian twist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recycled our haggis leftovers into a 'haggis pie' like a shepherd's pie! It was great. Your haggis balls sound just delicious great idea. I love leftovers

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x