Friday, 6 January 2012

New year - new bakes - recipe


Happy new year readers!
Its a bit late granted, but we've another 360 days to go at yet, but I sincerely hope 2012 brings you all the best life can offer. I'm starting the new year as I intend to go on with some home baking and here are some recent bakes, to be honest I made these cakes to use up fruits from Christmas that had not been eaten. Funny how at Christmas you'll eat anything other than fresh fruit from the fruit bowl, then in the new year its all you feel you need or should be eating.


After the Christmas indulgences I want something with a fresher taste rather than being overly rich so here we have a banana tray bake, with recipe and two lemon inspired cakes (above). This banana cake is a great way to use up ripe bananas and makes a lovely cake and dessert with custard or ice cream, its a moist squidgy cake with a lovely toffee like topping. The recipe for this cake is from a gem of a book called Brownies, Bars and Goodies Galore by Jo McAuley and published (and given to me to review) by Octopus Books. This is a book with the US market in mind but good conversion charts are included at the back of the book, there are some fab recipes in there, some are gluten free.
Upside down banana sheet cake
Ingredients:
5 small ripe bananas
1/3 US cups prunes chopped
1/2 US cups dried bananas chopped
350g butter
2 free range eggs
1+3/4 US cups self rasing flour
1 tsp baking powder
1+ 1/4 US cups light brown sugar
3 tablespoons milk
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 170c fan. Line a square cake tin (9 inches). The take 2 of the bananas and slice these to cover the bottom of the tin.
2. Put sugar and 100g butter in a pan and heat slowly until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Pour this into the bottom of the tin over the sliced bananas and leave to one side.
4. Cream the caster sugar and butter until pale then add the beaten eggs a little at a time. In another bowl mash the remaining bananas with a fork.
5. Fold the flour and baking powder into the mix followed by the mashed bananas, dried bananas, prunes and milk.
6. Spoon the mix over the sliced bananas in the tin and level with a spoon. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until risen and test with a skewer. Leave in the tin to cool initially then turn out. Beware the syrup may trickle out and can be hot. Serve in squares cold, warm or hot.

The two lemon inspired cakes (pictured above) were made from recipes from Vanessa Kimbell's book 'Prepped' I know a lot of lucky people received this book as a Christmas present so hopefully this will tempt you to try some of the lovely recipes. The lemon and lavender cake is so good, moist, fresh and slightly fragrant with the lavender.I finished mine with some icing coloured with a touch of grape coloured food gel and finished with lemon slices and culinary lavender.The other cake (above) is a lemon cake too, different recipe to the lemon/lavender one but both cakes are drizzled with a lemon syrup (icing is optional) to add even more zing! Just the thing to give your new year a kick start.

NB. These views are mine alone, and this post is not featured on my blog as part of any incentive (monetary or otherwise) from authors or publishers to show you what I baked this week. I just love to bake cakes!

9 comments:

  1. All those cakes look wonderful, I bet the Banana Cake tastes delicious when its still warm. Its been a while now since I've baked a Lemon Cake, another one to add to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That banana sheet cake is an inspired bake. I have two banana's in the fruit bowl that need using up - thank you ;0)
    And a happy new year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, no. You have set me off now. Lemon cake - especially the one decorated with those little lemon slices - is calling out to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree with you Susan- after the indulgence of the wonderful festive period, something a bit plainer and more simple is required, but of course, very very tasty! These look a lovely selection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That banana cake looks wonderful, like a cakey tart tartin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I'm so glad you just love to bake cakes. Lemon cakes are always delicious and both of yours look lovely, but the banana one is really unusual. Having baked loads of banana cakes recently, I now feel another one coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you too!... OMG that banana tray bake thing looks so good... I need it NOW... please send to Belleau Cottage, Belleau, Lincolnshire... oh so yummy... drooling over keyboard... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing .. I'm really touched and impressed at the same time. I could devour a slice right this second!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful cakes, I have Prepped too, and I love it already!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x