Tuesday, 6 March 2012

Calvados, raisin and cranberry ice cream - recipe

At Christmas I was really lucky and Santa left me an ice cream maker, I have wanted one for ages because I just love ice cream, but I only like really nice ice cream, the posh full of cream kind. So I was delighted to get my own machine and since Christmas I have been trialling various kinds of home made ice creams. I've mostly been making up my own recipes as I go along. So far so good, and none of the ice creams I have tried to make (Malteser, spiced plum, blueberry, vanilla) have turned out too badly at all. I don't have many recipes for ice creams or books to follow, so a quick look on Google to check my own thinking with some recipes and away you go.
I made this particular recipe at Christmas, as I was trying to re-create a rum and raisin ice cream but we had no rum in the house, so I improvised and used Calvados instead to see how that worked and it was a triumph with all my guests, more so because the fruit was so plumped up by the alcohol.
Ingredients:
Double cream
Caster sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
75g Raisins (I used golden and dark raisins mixed)
50g Dried cranberries
2 tbsp Calvados
Method:
1. Put the dried fruit in a bowl and cover with the Calvados. Mix together. Microwave on full power for one and a half minutes, keep a clos eye on it! Remove from the microwave, mix again and leave to cool. The fruit will have swollen and plumped up with the Calvados.
2. Warm the double cream and sugar in a pan over a low heat, until the sugar has dissolved, add the vanilla extract to this mix.
3. Pour the liquid into the ice cream maker and start the machine running, let it run for 25 minutes.
4. After 25 minutes add the cooled fruit mixture, carry on mixing for another 5  minutes.
5. Pour into a plastic tub with a lid and put in the freezer until needed.
Makes about 1 litre of delicious soft and creamy ice cream.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes I think I will jump right in that bowl too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have No ice cream maker. No good hinting as he has no idea of hints go right over his head. So no go unless some one wants to get rid off .

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x