Friday, 30 March 2012

Key Lime Cake - recipe

Not an advertisement, I just love this road sign, and I want to prove something, that it is true, cake has health giving benefits in bucket loads...honestly...it really does...read on...

Last weekend was our March South Lancashire Clandestine Cake Club 'do', it was a Spring themed affair and my creative juices thoughts were flowing thick and fast...
...hhhmmmmm...Spring...fresh...green...fruits...tangy...citrusy...lemons...LIMES...LIMES!!!

So I came up with this cake, nothing special really, just another take on a basic Victoria sponge, but I wanted to make it as zingy, zesty and sharp as I could, and I wanted a fresh tasting lime hit in each mouthful of the cake; so to get this lime hit I used 5 limes in this cake.

It was so worth all the squeezing and grating, as this cake was zesty, fresh, so delicious and really was quite a light cake too! AND best of all none of the bakers or guests at last weeks South Lancashire's Clandestine Cake Club will be getting scurvy anytime soon...fabulous!

Ingredients:
Cake batter:
4 free range eggs (I weighed mine and they were 300g)
300g soft butter
300g golden caster sugar
300g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
juice of one lime and finely grated zest
Cake syrup:
juice of 2 limes and finely grated zest
50g caster sugar
The filling:
Fresh Lime curd:
125g golden caster sugar
30g unsalted butter (cubed)
2 large free range eggs
juice of 2 limes
grated zest of 1 lime
500ml double cream whipped
To decorate:
Icing sugar to dust
Splodge of the whipped double cream
Edible sugarcraft flowers (handmade or course!)
Method:
1. Make the lime curd first. In a heavy bottom saucepan melt the butter, lime juice, zest beaten eggs and golden caster sugar; use a whisk to combine everything and keep whisking for about 10 minutes over a medium heat until the curd thickens. You can sieve the curd if you like to remove the zest but I didn't for this cake. Let the curd cool in a bowl (cover with clear wrap).
2. Pre heat the oven to 180C fan and you will need to grease 2 sandwich tins.
3. Start the cake batter by creaming the butter and caster sugar until they are pale and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs, a little at a time and with each edge a spoonful of the flour. Mix well to incorporate each egg. Fold in the rest of the flour and the baking powder, then on the last turns of the spoon mix in the lime juice and grated zest of one lime. I'll have to add a photo here as I just love the colours. You can almost smell the limes.
3. Divide the mix between the 2 sandwich tins and bake for about 25 minutes.
4. While the cake is baking, make the syrup by heating the sugar and the lime juice and zest in a pan over a moderate heat. Once the sugar dissolves, remove from the heat and leave the syrup to stand.
5. Once the cakes are baked (test the cakes with a cocktail stick, a clean stick means a done cake). Leave them to cool for about 5 minutes then remove from the tins onto a wire rack. As the two cakes are cooling drizzle the syrup over the cakes and allow the syrup to sink in.
6. Meanwhile whip the double cream until it is peaky, an electric mixer is best for this.
7. Once the cake is cold you can start the assembly. Slice each cake into two across the middle, then layer up; the cake, a layer of whipped cream, fresh lime curd. Then repeat this twice more, but keep a splodge (one good tablespoon = one splodge) of the whipped cream for the top of the cake.
8. Once the cake is assembled dust liberally with sieved icing sugar, dab a splodge of whipped cream in the middle and add something pretty and Springlike to decorate.

Just think how many people you can help prevent getting scurvy by making this cake!

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! I adore anything that has that tangy sherbetty edge that lime has. Gorgeous! Bet they loved it at the cake club. Your Vic sponge looks so light too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dom, I had the most overwhelming craving for a Margherita when I was making this I can't tell you! x

      Delete
  2. Eating cake for your health? I love it (*rushes to kitchen to whip up Susan's fab cake to prevent scurvy*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Limes are on my list of 'must try something' as I love the citrus hit of lemons and I keep coming across this when I search for ideas. However most of the recipes are of course in american cups - so thankfully now I have one that is normal (to me) measurements - ta very muchly! I didn't have a craving for margharita until I read the comments now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a beautiful spring like cake. It sounds delicious. I have something similar in mind for my first CCC later this month, only I was going to make passionfruit curd. Only thing is, I did a test run before Easter and one of the cakes completely disintegrated, so I'm a bit worried now - tasted great though. As you know I need no convincing that cake is healthy, especially when made with home grown eggs:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x