Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Molten Mint Meringues - recipe

These might look a little strange but that's because its a strange challenge we are tackling here...Chele (in charge this month) over at the 'we should cocoa' camp, has come up with a green theme...(thanks Chele!) and that means to come up with something edible with chocolate AND green...together!!!

Therefore, I have been trying to dream up all kinds of concoctions, (some fairly inedible I'm sure) but eventually...that EUREKA moment!!! The Molten Mint Meringue is born...its the long lost triplet of M and M, a devilish delight, appearing pale and uninteresting on the outside but bursting with gooey, minty, chocolatey, marshmallowy, sweet lushness on the inside. Don't believe me? Check out the interior! Green enough for you Chele?



Ingredients:
2 free range egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/3 tsp vanilla paste
110g caster sugar (white is best, though I used golden here)
1 large bar of mint chocolate (I used the bubbly one)
Green gel food colouring ( a smidgen of)
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 130C fan. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Separate the eggs and put the whites into a bowl, whisk the whites (use either an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer) until stiff peaks start to form. Add the cream of tartar and the vanilla paste, and a small amount of the green food gel (off the end of a cocktail stick), mix again then add the caster sugar a tablespoon at a time until the mix is thick and glossy and holds peaks.
3. Take the mint chocolate bar and chop roughly on a chopping board. Add this to the meringue mix and fold in gently, make sure all the chocolate/mint bar is covered in meringue.
4. Take a tablespoon and put dollops of the meringue onto the baking sheet (I made mine quite big and made 8 from this mix), form into rounds but do not worry too much about a perfect shape.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the oven, then carefully remove from the baking tray and allow to cool on a wire rack.

You can keep these in an airtight container after cooling, but I'll be very surprised if they make it that far. If you love the taste of mint chocolate you will LOVE these! If you love meringues you will love them too, its a win win!


If you'd like to see more bloggers sweat over tackle the 'chocolate and green' challenge then head over to 'we should cocoa' challenge number 19...the round up is coming soon...its sure to be a hoot!

I'm also entering this recipe into this months alpha bakes challenge where the challenge this month (from Caroline at Caroline Makes) is to bake something relevant to the letter 'M'...my Molten Mint Meringues are just the thing!



17 comments:

  1. Excellent entry to AlphaBakes... triple word score :) Looks so minty and light and yummy.... excuse me while I wipe the drool... please send me the whole lot! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look utterly yummie and so pretty! Is this what they mean when they say I should eat more greens?? I could easily manage my 5-a-day with these! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore meringues and consider myself to be the meringue queen!

    These look amazing!

    I am also quite amused at the amount of green bakes that are overlapping We Should Cocoa and Alphabakes this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well don't they just look absolutely amazing!... I love the secret hidden green inside and quite frankly ANYTHING that uses mint aero's are ok by me!... save one for me and pop it in the post PLEASE!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well aren't you a dark horse ;0)
    Mint aero's speak to my heart and are often my quick fix chocolate of choice (should I be admitting that??) so these little beauties would go down a treat with me ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chele, it was tough but I soldered on! x

      Delete
  6. Oh my Sue, you have been inspired! Those look fantastic, I love a bit of mint aero, what a delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, was really pleased how they came out. Love these! x

      Delete
  7. Oh wow, look at those. I am impressed, very, very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac, please try them they are really good! x

      Delete
  8. Fantastic title and even more fantastic pictures - they certainly won't be making it to the tin cos I shall be intercepting them - yum yummity yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow I absolutely love meringue...and mint chocolate so this is a match made in heaven! they look so inviting - must give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooohhhhh will just have to try these egg and dairy free with egg replacer and dairy free choc....and a touch of mint flavouring....fab looking

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! Looks heavenly & what a lovely color! Definitely trying this awesome recipe!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful colour inside! My other half may have a slight weakness for those bubbly minty bars - these would make his day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow this looks so delicious, i love mint areo and the boys do...Thanks for sharing....

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x