Saturday, 24 March 2012

Sweet potato scones - recipe

Another post and yet another bloggers challenge dear readers...this time its from 'Tea time Treats' hosted this month by the very lovely Karen at Lavender and Lovage...and its SCONES!

I must be honest, scones are not my thing as a rule, I have never made a very well risen scone, and goodness knows I have tried (having had the most success with Ruth Clemens recipe). Yes I can make pastry, yes I can make cakes, but scones? No! I'm never sure why my scones are not too good either; my grandmother was a great scone maker (she always made them in rounds with a cross on the top, for cutting/ quartering purposes), mind you its just as well, she never baked anything else only scones!


I was not expecting these sweet potato scones to rise too well due to the amount of mashed sweet potato in the mix, and my lack of scone prowess, so I was quite happy with how these came out and taste-wise they were quite a hit. These have a bit of a twist as although they are sweet, they do taste VERY good with cheese and a dollop of homemade chutney.
Try them!
Ingredients:
250g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
40 g caster sugar
75g unsalted Butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
about 80 ml buttermilk (at room temperature)
Method:
1. Start off with your sweet potato. I baked mine in a 160C oven on a baking tray until it was cooked. Baking gives a much deeper and sweeter flavour. Let it cool then scoop out and mash what was the inside with a fork, I had about 200g of sweet potato. Let this go cool before you use it in the scone mix.
2. For the scones, rub the butter into the flour until it looks like crumbs. Mix the sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg into this and mix with a fork.
3. Add the cooked and mashed cold sweet potato, blend in with a fork or use your hands.
4. Add the buttermilk until the mix comes together. Its important not to over-work the mix; once it is combined put onto a floured board and pat down to about an inch and a half thick.
5. Use a round cutter to cut out the scone shapes, but DO NOT TWIST the cutter (this is hard as these scones are quite sticky), use a pallet knife to move them from the board onto a greased/lined baking sheet.
5. Bake in the oven for between 20 and 25 minutes. Leave to cool before splitting.


If you can bear to drag yourself away from these golden beauties and over to 'Tea time Treats' this month you'll be bowled over by the roundup and the fabulous range of scones.

8 comments:

  1. I'm super impressed with all the scrumptious scone recipes this month- I'm really enjoying reading each unique and inspired recipe! Thank you for entering TTT Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never made sweet potato scones before but the idea is genius... and how can you not love a scone? THE perfect vehicle for jam and cream... come ON woman!... they look lovely by the way xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look really good. Intrigued by the sweet potatoes in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet potato scones? Who would have thought? They look gorgeous and very well risen. I feel embarassed to submit my boring, plain cheese scones!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well they look jolly fine and nicely risen too, if you ask me. But I am not the best scone maker in town either! Great addition using sweet potatoes, I bet they tasted delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would never have thought of adding Sweet Potato to scones! I don't have any trouble getting scones to rise, half the battle is making sure you cut them thick enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I may be late to the party here, sorry, but only just saw your email in my spam box, but I have to say that those look JUST amazing Sue, lovely colour and so light too.....a FABULOUS entry thanks!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to try making this dish. I love sweet potato biscuits, so I think I'll love this dish too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    How to Make Sweet Potato Fries

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x