Simple and in Season monthly round up. Pop over to Ren's blog Fabulicious Food to see lots of other inspirational and seasonal recipes from fellow food bloggers.
3 free range eggs
200g golden caster sugar
200g self raising flour
150g part cooked rhubarb
1 and a half teaspoons rose water
50g sliced almonds
You will need 12 muffin cases and a muffin baking tray
1. Cook the rhubarb ahead. I peeled and cut mine into chunks about and inch long, put these in an ovenproof dish and sprinkled on 1 or 2 tablespoons of golden caster sugar. Cover with cling wrap and put in the microwave on high power for about 2 minutes. Cooking rhubarb like this helps keep its shape. Leave this to cool.
2. Pre heat the oven to 180 C fan.
3. Cream the margarine and golden caster sugar with a hand or stand mixer until pale and fluffy, add the beaten eggs a little at a time and beat again. Fold in the self raising flour with a spoon.
4. Add the rosewater and about 150g of the drained rhubarb. Leave the rhubarb juices for later. Fold in gently and make sure all the rhubarb is covered by cake batter.
5. Put the batter mix into 12 muffin cases, use a large tablespoon, or a large ice cram scoop. Sprinkle some sliced almonds over the top of each muffin.
6. Bake in the oven for up to 25 minutes, or when a cocktails stick comes out of the cakes clean and they are golden brown.
7. Leave the cakes to cool in the tin. As they are cooling prick the top of each muffin with a cocktail stick in a few places and dribble some of the cooked rhubarb juice onto each cake. Leave this to soak in while the cooling continues.