Thursday, 31 May 2012

Diamond jubilee chicken - recipe

Hhhmmmm, now how can I put this dear patriotic readers?
We're not really feeling the Queens diamond jubilee thing here (you may have noticed the absence of the red, white and blue cakes and the like?). It's a long, long story and has nothing to do with the monarchy whatsoever...or the fact we are miserable so and so's and you'd be bored to tears you really would, trust me.

But, as the rest of the country is getting to grips with the celebrations, not to mention th'olympics (yes, thats how we say it up north folks) and with the Queens diamond jubilee in mind, Schwartz sent me some of their new Coronation chicken mix to try out. So when the sun shone brightly this week and a quick sarnie in the garden was required for lunch...(and with a perfect excuse to make some homemade mayonnaise in my new mixer) I had a bash at what is a very old recipe. It was a no brainer to be honest, its a cheat to call this a recipe as its so easy to make.

I didn't have all the ingredients to hand that are suggested on the packet by Schwartz so my version of Coronation chicken is slightly different (usually sultanas and flaked almonds are used, I used dried apricots instead, as I like them more than sultanas).
..if you don't know the history of Coronation chicken then Wikipedia has a bit of a description...
Coronation chicken may have been inspired by jubilee chicken, a dish prepared for the silver jubilee of George V in 1935, which mixed chicken with mayonnaise and curry. Additionally, for the Queen's Golden Jubilee in 2002, another celebratory dish was devised, also called Jubilee chicken.  

Ingredients:
cooked chicken (off the bone) (mine was a free range Goosnargh chicken)
175g (approx) mayonnaise - homemade if you can (mine was homemade hence the colour)
about 8 dried apricots chopped
2 spring onions chopped
1 big tbsp mango chutney
1 pkt Schwartz coronation chicken mix
Method:
1. Either make your mayonnaise first in readiness. (or hey presto, open a jar!).
To make mayonnaise, put 2 free range egg yolks into the clean mixing bowl of a stand mixer, set the whisk beater running at medium speed and then trickle in VERY SLOWLY about one and a half cups of olive oil. The mixture will thicken as long as you drizzle, just take your time; to season add sea salt as you wish, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, a pinch of cayenne pepper and vinegar or lemon juice. The mayonnaise is done and it will taste amazing!
2. Chop the spring onions and dried apricots and get your mango chutney ready.
3. In a bowl combine the cooked chicken, chopped apricots, chopped spring onions and mango chutney. Add the mayonnaise and the Schwartz mix and combine. Fold it in as you want to keep some texture in the chicken.
4. Spread generously on bread to make sandwiches and garnish. Or serve with rice, or jacket potatoes.

One thing I really liked about this was that it made a small amount of chicken go a long way...if you are making sandwiches for the masses at the weekend, as part of a street party or other event then you can't go wrong really in making a little bit of food stretch quite far.

If you and your family like spicy food with indian flavours and sweet fruitiness added in, then they will love this, the mix has a strong flavour and you could use creme fraiche or natural yoghurt to make it go even further. I'd use less next time...or even better add much MORE homemade mayonnaise...yum!

Whatever you do over the long bank holiday weekend have a safe and enjoyable time everyone.


My thanks to Schwartz for sending me this product to review.
NB:This post is not sponsored by Schwartz; or Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II as part of her diamond jubilee celebrations or th'olympic committee anyone else either. I have not been asked to write anything than my own views on this product and the ingredients I used were paid for by me.

6 comments:

  1. Well THIS queen would sponsor you to pop over to Lincs and deliver me some yummy Corry Chicken! We're having a tea party on Monday but it's more about the cake than her madge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the tea party and gave a lovely weekend Dom. x

      Delete
  2. Looks good - perfect for the weekend - might brighten up the weather! Love the shot with the whisk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have been craving homemade mayonnaise ever since! x

      Delete
  3. I love coronation chicken! I've never made it myself though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gone a bit Jubilee baking mad so we can even each other out :) I've never been a fan of coronation chicken - there's something about fruit in savoury dishes that just does not appeal to me. I do like the sound of homemade mayo tho :) Hope you had a nice Jubilee weekend. I'm still in a cake coma :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x