Saturday, 19 May 2012

Pork goulash - recipe

A lovely recipe but one that I have not made in a very long time, and I don't know why as I love it so, its a pork goulash which originates from Hungary...with the weather being a bit parkie of late in Lancashire its certainly suited us for supper one night.

It's easy to make and has a delicious rich flavour with the combination of sweet and smoked paprika, tomatoes and sour cream (stirred in at the end prior to serving). When the pork is cooked like this it really melts in your mouth.

Serve pork goulash with noodles or another starch (potatoes, couscous or rice) and vegetables. Who needs a packet or a jar to add flavour when you can make a supper dish from scratch this easily?

I used a cast iron casserole with a lid to make my goulash, I like this method because I can use it on the top of the stove to start the goulash off and also in the oven to bake it. A cast iron casserole is ideal for a recipe like this...and once popped in the oven it cooks much faster than a normal casserole dish.

This will serve four, or three if you are very greedy!

Ingredients:
400g fresh boneless pork (shoulder) cubed and cut in large chunks (or you could use pork fillets or boneless pork chops)
a glug of olive oil
200ml chicken stock
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 large onion
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 dessert spoon sugar
1 tbsp dried herbs
sea salt
100g button mushrooms (cleaned)
150ml sour cream
fresh chopped parsley
Method:
I used a cast iron casserole with lid to make my goulash, I like it because I can use it on the top of the stove and also in the oven its ideal for a recipe like this...and it cooks in the oven faster than a normal casserole dish. This will serve four, or three if you are greedy!
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C fan. Put the raw pork in a bowl and add the 2 paprika's and the black pepper and a good pinch of sea salt. Toss the pork in the spices.
2. Heat a glug of olive oil in the casserole dish on the hob, when the oil is warm add the spice coated meat and brown on all sides. Add the onion and fry lightly.
3. Add the tinned chopped tomatoes to the mix followed by the chicken stock, sugar and a tablespoon of dried herbs. Mix everything together on the hob. Turn off the gas, add a lid to the casserole and put in the oven.
4. After an hour when the meat is getting tender, remove the casserole and button add the button mushrooms and return to the oven minus the lid for another 20 minutes.
5. After this further 20 minutes remove from the oven and fold in a tub of sour cream, do not mix too much as you want to be able to see the marbled effect of the cream. Add a handful of chopped parsley to finish the dish.

You can add more ingredients to this dish like peppers, fresh chillis and garlic if you wish to.

7 comments:

  1. wow this looks amazing!! excuse me while I wipe my drool... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. god my mouth is watering!... I love that picture with the mushrooms bubbling away in the sauce... I have some pork to use and I think it has found a home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great yummy dish and well presented too X

    ReplyDelete
  4. just had to stop by to say thank you for a great recipe. stumbled across this page whilst looking for a nice pork goulash recipe and i certainly found one. i made this last night much to the delight of my other half.

    it is utterly delicious.

    such a great flavour for so little work! altered slightly to fit our needs (added garlic, left out sugar, and cooked lower for longer) and its already gone in my little black book of recipes with no further tweaks required. certain to become a regular.

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment and so glad you enjoyed it, totally agree about the garlic addition too, its much better with garlic in my view. x

      Delete
  5. Delicious. Thanks so much for the recipe. I used two pork tenderloins, doubled the other ingredients and one 28 oz can of tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried this last night, threw in some garlic with the onions and added mangetout and a sliced green pepper with the mushrooms.

    The end result was very tasty but slightly runny, I think the next time I will try it without adding the extra water. Thank you very much for the recipe (first one in my new cast iron casserole dish)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x