Wednesday, 13 June 2012

Rustic Cornish pastie pie - recipe

Cornish pasties, they've been done to death I know...so time for a slight variation in the mis shape of a rustic cornish pastie pie...thats pastie with an ie not a y...like Liza with a z not an s...as in Lisa....because this is multiple pasties...in one pie...anyway I digress. And that's rustic with an r...because I wasn't really bothered what shape this pie was when I was making it as I knew it would taste very good and I like it rough and hand made looking.

Because we are greedy so and so's here we do prefer a large pie to a single pasty...thats pasty with a y folks! I know all the old fables about pasties being taken down the Cornish mines and their portability as food on the go etc etc but we like things bigger in Lancashire...and we do like a pie or two up here and we do know our pies. We always have swede in our pastie pies without fail, and a lot of seasoning...yum!

This is a great family sized dish, smashing when its warm after resting from the oven and equally nice cold the day after for the likes of a picnic, or perfect as a wedge of pie in your lunchbox, it makes a lovely change from sandwiches.

Is fathers day this weekend...on Sunday you could do a lot worse than bake this pie, put 'happy fathers day dad your the best dad ever in the world!' on the top of it in pastry letters and you're sorted! Let dad take it to work the next day (if he can carry it) and you get double brownie points I reckon...

Whatever you do and however you eat this you will love it. There really is nothing like the aroma and flavour of a cornish pasty or cornish pastie pie...its one of the greats...even more so when eaten on holiday in Cornwall.
Ingredients:
for the filling
6/7 medium potatoes sliced
2 medium onions sliced
wedge of swede (less than a quarter of a whole one) sliced
350g skirt (beef)
sea salt
ground black pepper
jersey full cream milk to brush the top of the pie
for the pastry
250g cold unsalted butter
50g lard or Trex
300g plain flour
1 tsp sea salt
2 free range eggs beaten
up to 250ml cold water
This will feed a lot of people, 5,000 maybe my finished pie was over 16 inches square.
Method:
1. Start by making the pastry, put the flour into a food processor with the salt and then add the cubed butter and lard. Pulse the mix but not too much as you want it just combined, if there are some chinks of the fats thats fine. Add the beaten eggs and enough water to make this into a dough. Again use the pulse setting so as not to overwork. Once the pastry is done, put onto a floured board and knead and fold slightly to make sure it is smooth. But remember don't overwork it. Put the pastry into the fridge for at least an hour to rest.
2. Get the filling ready. I use a food processor to slice all the vegetables...this means they cook more easily as they re all the same thickness. You can dice the vegetables if you prefer and you can even grate them. Once the vegetables are sliced leave them to one side.
3. Prepare the meat by slicing it thinly into strips. Skirt gives a lovely flavour to a pastie like this and is particularly suited to this recipe. When the meat is sliced leave it to one side in readiness. Get your salt and pepper ready too.
4. When the pastry has had a decent rest then divide it in two (for a top and a bottom, I allow a little bit more for the top).
5. At this point pre heat your oven to 160C fan. Roll out the pastry and put it onto your baking sheet. Then start to add your filling, potato, onions, meat, swede, more potato to finish. REMEMBER to season every layer with sea salt and black pepper and be generous as a pie this big needs a really good amount of seasoning. Leave a rim around the end of the pastry of about two inches to be able to put your top layer on and seal.
6. Roll out the pastry for your top of the pie. Brush the outer rim with water before putting this on the top, then go round the outside and crimp the pastry edges together. Make sure the pie has got a good seal on it.
7. With the scraps of pastry left after trimming make whatever message or decoration you like and stick these on with milk or water.
8.Once the pie is finished, make some air holes in the top and brush with jersey milk (beaten egg if you prefer) and bake in the oven for about an hour and a half.
9. Once baked allow to rest prior to serving.
These pies are great served hot with other veggies and gravy or cold with salad...you'll have to trust me, that there was meat in this Cornish pastie pie.
NB. This post was not sponsored by the Cornish Tourist industry or Cornish pasty association (yes there is one).

However I am entering this Cornish pastie pie recipe (cos I know its going to win for sure) into the BEST OF BRITISH BLOGGER CHALLENGE sponsored by The Face of New World Appliances hosted this month for the first time by the very lovely Cornish dweller Choclette.
 

8 comments:

  1. This is lovely. Love the look of this. Looks like proper homemade delicious food. I can almost smell it! Mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a winning entry - I love your pastie pie although my poor little brain was getting confused reading the first few sentences! ;) Love the letters on top and the layers in the pie. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *giggles* definitely wins the nuttyest entry award!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this whopper of a pie/pasty... although I believe there are probably many a Cornishman who would be turning in their graves at the thought of you messing with their classic!... I approve whole-heartedly however and this really does look like a damn fine pie! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe, I can't stop laughing. Just imaging all these VERY large Lancashire types heaving their great pies around the place. Now apart from the name turnip (and I assume you mean Swede), the ingredients are classic Cornish pasty ones. It only differs in it's portability. And I love the letters on top. And I love the look of it and I think I'd be sorely tempted not to have a bite of it. Thanks so much for playing along with this Best of British lark and if you don't win the grand prize, I shall be very upset!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a good job they didn't carry on with the pasty tax or we would all be carrying round cornish pies to get around the tax! Love cornish pasties so what better than tohave an even bigger version in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing! I would definatly eat that in Cornwall or anywhere els for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good sturdy pie with lots of gorgeous pastry, ticks all my boxes. You have reminded me of when I made Cornish Pasty a couple of years ago using a recipe from the Hairy Bikers, they were they worlds biggest pasties ever! Eyes bigger than about four bellies :)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x