Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Beetroot, red onion & goats cheese tarte tatin - recipe

Oh my, oh my...when I eat food like this and as tasty as this, I honestly do wonder why I bother to eat meat...this recipe was so amazingly good...this is a beetroot, red onion and goats cheese tarte tatin...I made miniature versions for us (each small tarte tatin served one adult with other side dishes). You could just as easily make a large one for a family sized meal.

Having just spent a week in Turkey eating my way through lots of different amazing goats cheese there, I have sort of become addicted to the stuff. For this recipe I used a goats cheese from Somerset called Capricorn, you can't miss it as there is a picture of 'Ethel the goat on the front'...Ethel's a real goat, by the way (one of several goats on that site) and she kindly sent me (and several other food blogging friends) this goats cheese as part of a hamper of goodies to try. Ethel is going to choose the best recipes as part of her Capricorn Challenge and put them on her blog (yes a goat with a blog...Ethel is on Twitter too @Ethelthegoat!) and she will award a prize to the ultimate best recipe of all when she's sampled all her favourite ones. Well Ethel my little chicken goat I hope you approve of this recipe, because we loved it.

Please take a minute to look at the Capricorn site, its a real hoot and there are lots of competitions to enter (even for some lovely handmade knitted items made in Somerset), there are also recipes and lots of information about Somerset goats cheeses.

Ingredients:
1 packet of Capricorn goats cheese
1 packet cooked baby beetroot - sliced in half
1 red onion sliced
sprigs fresh thyme
sea salt
black pepper
1 tbsp honey
1 desert spoon balsamic vinegar
1 packet ready made butter puff pastry
olive oil
a few sliced walnuts
this will make 4 small tart tatins or one large one
Method:
1. Put a glug of olive oil in a non stick frying pan and add the red onion, fry gently over a moderate heat until the onion is soft, add the leaves from about 3 or 4 fresh thyme sprigs, the balsamic vinegar and the honey. Then add the sliced beetroot. Warm the beetroot in the honey syrup.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180C fan. Grease the tins, I used two small (child sized) spring form sponge cake tins, use a larger tin if you make one tart tatin.
3. Add the cooked beetroot and onion mix to the base of each tin, its best if you get the round side of the beets facing down into the tin if you can.
4. Divide the puff pastry into 4 and then roll each piece out on a floured board to a size to roughly fit the tins you use. Prick the surface of each piece of pastry with a fork all over. Place each piece of pastry over the top of the beetroot mixture, tuck the sides in (you can use a knife to do this). it won't look too pretty but this does not matter.
5. Put the tins on to a baking sheet and put in the oven and bake for 25 minutes and until the pastry is golden brown on top.
6. Once the tarts are cooked remove from the oven and get another baking sheet ready, at the same time pre-heat the grill to a medium heat.
7. Turn the baked tarts upside down on the clean baking sheet and remove the tins, this was really easy with the springform tins I used.
8. Slice the goats cheese into four and place a slice on the centre of each tart. Pop the baking tray and tarts under the grill for a few minutes to brown and melt the cheese.
9. To serve drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with sliced walnuts.

You can serve these with anything you like but I had a salad and a home-made salad dressing with mine. These tartes were amazing, the sweetness of the beets and red onions combined with the flavour of melted goats cheese was divine!

With thanks to Ethel for the Capricorn goats cheese and the lovely hamper...this is not a sponsored post other than the food items sent to me to make this dish were given freely but not as part of any demands for a positive review.

10 comments:

  1. oooh... tart tatin... STUNNING!!!!!... I hadn't thought of this and I really love it... it looks beautiful and I adore that combo of the sweetness of the beetroot and the creaminess of the goats cheese... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really yummy. You do so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've knocked Ethel's socks off with this recipe! Ethel please close your ears (and eyes) - I don't like goats cheese but this looks mouth wateringly delicious. I am going to try this with a different cheese. I love beetroot and cheese and pastry... yum yum. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks delicious. beetroot is totally one of my favourites. ireally enjoy reading your blog so i've nominated you for an award :)
    check it out at http://rachbakescakes.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are going straight on my next afternoon tea menu, thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a FABULOUS recipe Sue, REALLY lovely and it turned out so well too! REALLY fav darlink! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really tasty, will definately be trying this one. I love your blog, just started my own, would really appreciate your opinion http://duckslovebread-suze.blogspot.co.uk/

    Susie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so delicious! I am definitely giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great, have some beetroot in my fridge right now that needs using up.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x