Tuesday, 10 July 2012

Chocolate and blackcurrant thumbprint biscuits - recipe

I have to start this post by saying a very Happy Birthday to 'Choclette' from Chocolate Log Blog. Its been 'Choclette's' birthday this last weekend (a 'special' one at that) and you can read all about what she did and the lovely tea party she had here on her blog. It looks like she had a birthday we would all love to enjoy, a day spent doing one of your favourite past times and spending time sharing good food with loved ones and friends. Good for you 'Choclette' and here's to the next 30 (or more) years!

Thats the nice bit...but by 'eck she does not half come up with some tough ones for the 'we should cocoa' monthly challenge. I nearly came a Roy Cropper with this one. This month's challenge is to make something with blackcurrants and chocolate! I had bit of a worry as initially I couldn't think of a darn thing to make...but after pondering over the weekend and seeing a sign locally (outside someone's house) selling fresh blackcurrants, I had my idea and I was ready!

The trouble was I then went away for the weekend and coming back home the blackcurrants had all been sold, what a disaster! But I would not be thwarted. Lurking in my fridge I had a lovely jar of homemade blackcurrant preserve, bought in Pickering. From this, these lovely chocolate and blackcurrant thumbprint biscuits were born. Taaaa daaaaa! (one day soon I will get to make the dark chocolate and blackcurrant mousse I really had planned)


Ingredients:
225g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
225g golden caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla paste
90g cocoa powder
190g self raising flour
2 egg yolks
half a small jar of good quality blackcurrant conserve
pistachio nuts - finely chopped
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C fan. Line 2/3 baking trays with baking paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a stand mixer until the mix is pale and fluffy. Add the 2 free range egg yolks and the vanilla paste, mix again.
3. Sieve the flour and cocoa into the mix and combine everything together. Leave this mix to rest for about 30 minutes.
4. Take a spoonful of the mixture at a time, and form into ball between your hands, put each ball onto a baking sheet (leave room for this to spread when cooking). Use either your thumb OR a teaspoon to make the thumbprint indentation into each ball.
5. Add about half a teaspoon of the blackcurrant conserve into each indentation. Sprinkle the edges of some biscuits with chopped pistachio's. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes.
6. When baked leave to cool slightly before removing to harden on a cooling rack. Sprinkle some of the finished biscuits with more chopped pistachio's.

These were quite a change with the rich buttery chocolate flavour of the biscuit against the blackcurrant conserve. An unexpected hit with a cuppa in the summer months!

11 comments:

  1. Oh they look sticky and yummilious! Great entry Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you dear Susan for your good wishes. I had a fabulous day indeed and had many treats and surprises along the way.

    But what's all this about setting tough challenges? Two ideas in as many days - bah, easy peasy. Love the idea of the mousse, but love the look of these biscuits too. I've had so many ideas, I'm not sure which one to go for ;-)

    Thank you for joining in with WSC and providing some delicious fruity treats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate and blackcurrants, surely a marriage made in heaven. I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. indeed yummylicious, just waiting for me to stick my thumb in there - oh, is that not what 'thumbprint' cookies means? Ha ha - well done on the compromise and invention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are really great looking biscuits and I can imagine how delicious they must be. I love them! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look lovely! And very tempting. I've been thinking about my entry for a while now but still haven't landed on the 'one' yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh they look good, great idea for the challenge. I'm still plotting my bake for this month

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fab...blackcurrants and chocolate are a slightly unusual combination but it's a good'un, I'd love to try one of these! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look brill, love the rich chocolate with a good quality home made preserve. A fine idea....good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Blackcurrant and chocolate might not be an obvious combination but these sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never thought you could combine chocolate and blackcurrents together but your cookies look delish!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x