Sunday, 8 July 2012

Red pepper and goats cheese pappardelle pasta - recipe

Lets be honest folks although its July, its not really salad weather is it? I don't know what you are eating but we are still munching away at more of the comfort type foods on most days. Our barbecue has not seen the light of day for ages now, rumour has it that it was last seen floating down the Leeds/Liverpool canal...I might jest, but its been that grim for all of us...I'm used to it raining here 'up north' but even this is pushing it to the edge.

On the bright side, in this house bad weather always presents an opportunity to cook up a storm and try something new. For a change we are eating less red meat at the moment and trying much more meat free dishes. I'm not sure entirely why that is, but I do know we are really enjoying what we are eating.

This is a lovely recipe using more of the Capricorn goats cheese, sent to me by Ethel the goat recently. This is a lovely flavoured ripened goats cheese from Somerset, the kind of goats cheese with a rind on it (like Brie or Camembert).

You can turn this basic recipe into a tasty pasta dish, or make and serve the gorgeous base with huge chunks of fresh crusty bread to dunk into the red pepper, goats cheese, herbs, spices and olive oil mix...this base alone would be great as an appetiser, or as a tasty vegetable dish on a buffet table.
This is just as good without the pasta, served alone with fresh crusty bread.

Ingredients:
3 fresh red peppers
olive oil
1/2 pkt Capricorn goats cheese
1 clove garlic - grated
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried chilli flakes (use less if you prefer less heat)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 pkt fresh pappardelle pasta
sea salt
fresh black pepper
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 190C fan. Take a baking tray and put the 3 red peppers on and drizzle them with some olive oil. Place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until the peppers begin to blacken.
2. When the peppers are baked cover them with a cloth and then as they are cooling remove the skins and the inside stork and pips. Place the red pepper pieces into a bowl. Chop or slice the peppers to suit the size of the pasta you are going to mix with them.
3. Put  the pasta on to cook in salted boiling water in readiness. Mine took about 4 minutes to reach al dente stage.
4. Add to the cooked and skinned peppers in the bowl, the dried herbs and spices along with the grated fresh garlic. Season generously with the sea salt and black pepper. Add more olive oil to coat everything. Finally add the goats cheese in pieces and mix again gently.
5. When the pasta is cooked drain it and add it hot to the red pepper mixture, combine everything together, the goats cheese will begin to melt into the pasta...yum!

Serve the pasta dish on its own or with any sides you like.

With thanks to Ethel for the Capricorn goats cheese and the lovely hamper...this is not a sponsored post other than the food items sent to me to make this dish were given freely but not as part of any demands for a positive review.

7 comments:

  1. mmmm... isn't that pasta INCREDIBLE... I was very impressed with mine!... yours looks so lovely and creamy with the goats cheese. I need more now!!!... and yes, this weather is really getting me down now. Horrid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pepper and goats cheese is a great combination. I love to try this pasta. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pasta but am not a fan of goats cheese or red peppers :( Your pics look very tempting. I'm sure Ethel will be pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVELY impromptu kind of meal and would make a great midweek supper dish! I TIRED of this weather....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am enjoying all these goat cheese recipes that are springing up at the moment. This looks absolutely delicious and quite summery too. Think I like the idea of serving it with crusty bread rather than the pasta, but sure it would be delicious either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely use of the Capricorn! I think that any pasta type recipes for it are perfect for when it goes (overnight) from perfect to slightly overripe!

    I have two more up my sleeve at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just to let you know that I AM going to pin this recipe on pinterest and I AM going to make this week :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x