Tuesday, 28 August 2012

'Torta Caprese' - Capri Chocolate almond cake - random (Sopranos family) recipe

Enough of all this celebrity talk...there's only so many famous TV cooks I can meet in my lifetime...back to the day job, its time for Dom's random recipe (number 19) challenge and for fear of shame and embarrassment I could not forget to enter this months challenge after revealing my (small) recipe book stash last month. So a quick eyes closed flick along the (one) book shelf and this recipe book was duly picked, 'The Soprano's Family Cookbook'. With an even quicker flick the page opened upon this recipe for 'Torta Caprese'...well it was either this or Ricotta Cheesecake (on the opposite page) and that seemed too common by Tony Soprano's standards! Now I have no clue what this cake should look like as there is no photograph in the book...but I think it turned out pretty well, not as stunning to look at as one of Tony Sopranos lovers granted, but it tasted as moist, sweet and heavenly as Tony Soprano's lips (trust me on this one, I know!).

I know what you are all thinking though...stuff the recipe, how did she come by a book like that in her collection? Is she part new york/brooklyn/italian? Is she a matriarch in the new jersey mafioso? Is she related to the Soprano family? Has she been one of Tony's lovers in early life? Has she met the cast in person like she met Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood this weekend?

Well dear readers it goes like this...we are great Soprano fans here, we are not obsessed but yes we have the (recipe) book, and yes we have the tee shirts (his and hers actually...this is no joke!)...we bought all items on a trip to NYC (thats New York) a few years ago...from the HBO shop no less. When I spotted The Sopranos recipe book and flicked through it in the store I had to have it, no questions asked...in the words of 'Uncle Ju'.

This book has hidden depths, I make my meatballs from this book every time, and they re the best ever, the pasta recipes and sauces are fab. The front inside cover depicts Tony Soprano's mother trying to put out a stove top fire with a mug of water (don't try this at home readers!).

The book itself is divided into different sections each centring around one of the characters in the series and elaborates on their love of food and views on food, cooking and recipes.

The chapter for this 'Torta Caprese" recipe is called 'If I couldn't eat I'd f****ing die' (I can identify with that!) and it concerns the ramblings of (Robert) Bobby Bacala, who describes himself as a connoisseur of Italian-American desserts. The section also describes Bobby's struggle with his weight all 260lbs of it and gives Bobby's 'style tips for heavy eaters', including such gems as 'black and loose fitting - you can't go wrong' and 'a colorful shirt is meant to be worn tail out - Both the Hawaiians and Mexicans make a good one'. Bobby went on to marry Tony's sister after his first wife died and they had a daughter together, then he was...Oh I digress...here's the recipe...make it!
Ingredients:
8oz ground almonds
8oz unsalted butter softened
8oz dark chocolate melted
6 large free range eggs (separated and at room temperature)
1 cup caster sugar
pinch sea salt
icing sugar to dust
(whipped cream - optional)
This recipe will make a cake big enough to serve 10 (or 3 plus Bobby Bacala) I made a half size.
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 170C fan. Butter and line a 9 inch sping form cake tin.
2. Cream the butter and 3/4 of the sugar until pale and fluffily. Add the egg yolks one at a time and keep beating, stir in both the melted chocolate and the almonds.
3. In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites and the pinch of salt until frothy then add 1/4 cup of the sugar and continue to beat until peaks form (like a meringue).
4. Gently fold about a quarter of the beaten egg whites into the cake batter and then gently
fold in the remainder.
5. Bake for 45 minutes then leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing form the tin.
6. Dust the top with icing sugar and serve with whipped fresh cream if this appeals?

7 comments:

  1. it's just genius!!!!!!!!.... not only is that probably the BEST TV cookbook spin-off ever but that is one hell of a tart lady!!!!!!! I LOVE it... fantastico!!! thanks so much for entering, wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chocolate tart looks lovely. I didn't even know that the Sopranos had a cook book (I've never watched an episode but by your blog, it appears food is central!). Buionissimo ! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a Sopranos cookbook! Beautiful looking cake too :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post Sue, made me giggle. You can't go wrong with a cake like that - it's got to be the best type of chocolate cake ever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - who knew there was a Soprano's Cookbook, please don;t tell my Husband lol. Fantastic post and a great recipe to have randomly selected too. What a treat, its turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I never a Soprano cookbook! If the cake is anything to go by, it must be pretty excellent :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks LUSH Sue, so light and fluffy too....as ever, you made me snort my tea up my nose, as I was laughing so much! Karen

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x