Friday, 12 October 2012

Spiced apple sponge pudding - recipe

We like apples here, but we do like British grown apples best of all, and I love this time of year in the autumn as our apples come into their own Two of my faves Bramley's and especially Cox's apples are particularly good. I love the sharp, clean, tartness of a Bramley and the sweet juicy flavour and colours of Cox's with the dark rosy autumnal glow on the skin. 

British grown apples are readily available in all markets locally and the main supermarkets, Sainsburys stock a mind blowing 52 varieties. I haven't tried all 52 (yet!) but I reckon I could blind taste and pick out a Cox's easily as I like them that much. My husband, on the other hand, is a Braeburn apple fan and always asks for this variety (each to their own!). Award winning Bramley's from Sainsburys are descended from the original British Bramley (going back to 1809) in this country, this variety are pleasantly sweeter Bramley than others I've tried. 

This recipe is for a lovely autumnal spicy sponge topped pudding, full of good seasonal things, Cox's apples make the topping of light fluffy spiced sponge sitting atop of Bramleys.  Its a great combination of seasonal fruit flavours from the cooking and eating apples together.

Its just the sort of pudding where you want to put both hands round the dish breathe in the flavours and dive in with a spoon. 
Ingredients:
2 Bramley cooking apples
grated zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp caster sugar
120g unsalted soft butter
120g caster sugar
120g SR flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 free range eggs
1 tsp vanilla paste
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp all spice
1 Cox's eating apple
Icing sugar to dust
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C fan. Then put the 2 tbsp of caster sugar in a (microwave suitable) dish and add to this the grated zest of one lemon, mix together.
2. Peel and core the Bramley apples and slice in big chunks, put these into the lemon/sugar mix and coat well. Cover the dish in cling film and cook on maximum power for 90 seconds. Remove the film and leave to cool.
3. Make the sponge batter by creaming together the butter and 120g of caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the 2 beaten eggs. Then add the vanilla paste.
4. Fold in the flour, baking powder and the 3 dried spices. Fold gently into the batter until combined.
5. Add this batter on top of the part cooked Bramley apples, spread out with a knife so that all the apples are covered in batter.
6. Take the Cox's apple and cut in half, cut slices of this apple and place on top of the batter in a row, and so the slices overlap slightly. At this point you will want to eat and relish the remaining half of the crisp sweet Cox's apple! (cooks perks!)
7. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes. When slightly cool dust with icing sugar prior to serving.

Serve warm or cold with cream, clotted cream, ice cream or vanilla custard.
Sainsburys are currently inviting some bloggers to try the different varieties of apples and pears they sell in store and create recipes from them. Sainsburys reimbursed the cost of the fruits for my recipe, but this is not a sponsored post.

I'm linking this post to 'Simple and in Season' hosted by Ren at Fabulicious Food.

11 comments:

  1. gorgeous!... I do love a pudding based cakey thing like this... so nice served hot with cold cream (I know... I'm odd)... I can imagine the wonderful aromas in the kitchen of cooking apples and cinnamon... the smells of autumn... divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. STUNNING! I adore all apples ad pears and I also made a recipe for the Sainsbury's challenge, a cake too, but not as elegant as yours, more a pudding cake! Yours looks as light as a feather and I think you ought to send me a piece over right now! LOVING the idea of serving clotted cream with this! Karen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks scrummy! This reminds me of Eves Pudding but with a twist - I will definitely make this as I bought an extra bag of apples with the idea of baking something, so thank you for the post;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've solved a mystery! I kept thinking this was apple charlotte but when I looked that up its wasn't at all...I use to have this when I was young and loved it, this version is better though. Thank you. x

      Delete
  4. What a delightful, Autumnal recipe for all these scrumptious seasonal fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious! This looks so good, I would love some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks very good. I love cox apples, but the russet is my favourite. Braeburns are good but don't have the acidity of the british apples in season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks gorgeous - I love apples and sponge baked together. I do wish I could see all 52 varieties though. Hmm, perhaps I'll start making a note of all the ones I see in my local store over the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Caroline, I was looking for them too...wanted to check off how many I knew.

      Delete
  8. OMG! I am in love with this pudding. Must. Get. Apples!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really lovely, and must smell so delicious with all those warming spices.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x