Monday, 19 November 2012

Almond, pear and blackberry crumble cake - recipe

This cake went down a storm at home last weekend, I have adapted the recipe
from a cake recipe in Nigel Slaters new book Kitchen Diaries II, his recipe uses hazelnuts, mine has almonds. I have a big bag of almonds that I bought in Turkey, purchased purely with baking in mind, although I keep scoffing a few here and there.

I also have enough ground almonds to sink the GBBO show and I am on a mission to "use everything up in store and for us to live on £5 until Christmas". It's not working as last week alone I spent over £150 in a well known supermarket on food. One of these days I'll write about the injustices of the price of food in this country, I do think it is a scandal.

Anyway, that's me off the 'cost of food' soapbox for this week...and here is the recipe for this delicious cake. Moist and packed with fresh fruity and autumnal spiced flavours its great with a cuppa, even if I say so myself.
Ingredients:
1 small punnet blackberrys
1 large pear (mine was a Williams)
175g soft unsalted butter
80g ground almonds
165g self raising flour
170g caster sugar
2 free range eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
for the crumble
20g cold unsalted butter
80g plain flour
20g dark brown sugar
a handful of whole almonds to scatter on the top of the cake
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 150C fan. Grease a spring form tin.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the beaten eggs, then fold in the flour, spices and ground almonds.
3. Make the crumble mix by putting the flour, the hard cold butter (cubed) into a food processor and pulse until the butter is absorbed into the flour. Add the brown sugar and pulse twice to mix.
4. Put the cake batter into the cake tin and level the top then add the blackberries and pear in slices, push the fruit down into the batter. Make sure the pear slices go in flesh first (leave the skins on).
5. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the batter and fruit mix as evenly as possible.
6. Bake for about one hour. Once baked, scatter with some whole almonds prior to slicing.

This is nice as a cake but would equally fare well as a pudding, its packed full of lovely spicy fruity autumnal flavours.

14 comments:

  1. Ah another Nigel Slater recipe, I will have to stay away if you cook many more, as I have asked for the book for Christmas and these posts are like spoilers!! It looks fabulous and is my kind of tray bake.....Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think anything I do on here will spoil your enjoyment of Nigel's book Karen. Relish every page.

      Delete
  2. What a delicious seasonal spiced crumble cake. I really love the almonds which must give a lovely texture to this gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have spied this cake in Sir Nigel's book too, looks and sounds delish and I love that you can sub whatever you have to hand. Lovely ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have made it like this and with apples too, Cox's which I love best. It was still a nice cake.

      Delete
  4. £150! What on earth were you buying Susan? Love your cake, almonds and blackberries go so well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat very well here Janice, as family/friends who have sampled the delights will tell you. Glad you liked the cake.

      Delete
  5. oh my lordy lordy... this is the kind of pudding cake that I simply adore! so thick and sharp and sweet and bloody gorgeous! nice work my dear

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect autum/winter cake...I'm a big fan of crumble and of cake...so a combination of the two is perfect! Your cake looks so tasty! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so perfectly autumnal! Love how the blackberries have stained the cake, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how lovely, this looks comforting and delicious. I keep meaning to make a buckle, but somehow never seem to manage it. Years ago, I used to make a blackcurrant buckle which was really good. Love the idea of your great bag of almonds and of you living on £5 a week ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x