When making this dish used good smoked mackerel, if the fish is properly smoked using authentic methods (like oak chips and salt in this case) the flavour will be amazing. If synthetic smoking liquid methods and/or dyes are used the flavour will not be anywhere near as good. We are regular fish eaters here and eat it about twice a week. Mackerel is a really versatile fish, you can use it in so many ways, its got a meaty texture and its one of our absolute favourites here, we do eat a lot of mackerel especially when its in season in the autumn months.
(to serve 2 adults)
1 smoked mackerel fillet (mine came chilled and boxed by home delivery from Wings of Mawes a fishmongers based in Cornwall)
5 or 6 tomatoes
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
fresh chopped parsley
linguine (or any kind of pasta to serve 2 adults)
2. While the tomatoes are roasting in the oven, take the flesh off the mackerel fillet and leave in chunks in a dish. Discard the fish skin; at this time if you are making this recipe for children you can take out any bones, if you come across any.
3. Chop the fresh parsley. Boil a pan of salted water ready for the pasta.
4. 10 minutes before the end of the tomato cooking time get the pasta on to boil. Once its cooked drain the pasta and return it back into the warm saucepan.
5. The tomatoes are roasted when they begin to caramelise, so when they reach this stage take them from the oven and put them in with the cooked linguine in the pan. Combine and toss the tomato and pasta together gently, taste and season again if needed.
6. Finally add the chunks of mackerel and chopped parsley to the pasta/tomatoes, fold all this in very gently so you do not loose the texture of the fish. Plate up the finished dish, serve with other veggies if thats your preference.
For more fish recipes and ideas pop along to Fish is the Dish, they have some great fish facts and recipes and some great competitions too. They do a great job of promoting awareness of including fish as part of a healthy and nutritious diet. In the competition this month you could win a Smeg fridge freezer and a years supply of fish.