Saturday, 15 December 2012

A Christmas biscuit tin - frosty cherry shortbread recipe

Its becoming a tradition here that at Christmas I make shortbread. They are one of my favourite biscuits, not hard or tricky to make with the right ingredients (you MUST use unsalted butter though) and a little bit of effort. Last year I made heavenly scented ones this year its frosty cherry shortbreads, hubby loves cherries so I had him in mind for these. When I made them and coated them in vanilla caster sugar (warm from the oven) they reminded me of the really hard cold frosty mornings we have had in Lancashire this week, hence the name!

These make a nice change from spicy things at Christmas, lovely with a hot chocolate too.
Ingredients:
250g unsalted butter, softened
plain flour
120g caster sugar
200g plain flour
100g cornflour
1 tsp (Ndali) vanilla powder
100g (or more) glace cherries
vanilla caster sugar to create 'frost'
Method:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 140C fan. Decide if you are making individual biscuits or a round shortbread or both; this recipe made about 12 individual ones and also a full shortbread that cut into 8.
2. Put the butter and caster sugar in a bowl and mix until fluffy, use a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Add the plain flour, cornflour, vanilla powder and cherries. Mix until there is a good distribution of cherries in the dough.
3. You will need to bring the dough together on a floured board or worktop to make individual biscuits, there is nothing to combine the dough other than the butter so it takes a bit of squishing. Flatten the dough first and then use a round floured cutter.
I also made a round of short bread in a greased cake tin by pressing the dough into the greased tin.
4. Whether you make individual biscuits or a large shortbread to slice make sure you let it rest for about 30 minutes in the fridge before you bake it.
5. I baked my individual round biscuits for 35 minutes and the whole round shortbread for an hour.
6. Once cooked and cooled dust in caster sugar. For the whole one use a sharp knife to cut into 'slices'.

If you can bear to give these shortbreads away they would make a lovely gift in a jar...or a tin like these from Garden Trading.
I hope your Christmas preparations are going well...I'm off for a cuppa, a shortbread and to put my decorations up...and wrap some gifts!

NB. this is not a sponsored post but as Garden Trading know how much I love to bake they kindly sent me this lovely biscuit tin and jar to keep my biscuits in.

13 comments:

  1. oooh, the viking would love these too, he's a massive shortbread fan, as am I... I bet the cherries work so well with the sweetness of the shortbread... gorgeous darling x

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks lovely! might just borrow since I have my brother coming to stay for christmas and an excuse to bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do well with these they are pretty foolproof. x

      Delete
  3. I love shortbread and add ginger to mine normally, but I may "borrow" your recipe this year now Sue! LOVELY bake, and lovely photos too! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. How good does this look!!! Love shortbread...love cherries...I'm sure the frosty sugar wouldn't go amiss either! This would make a lovely present :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I think these in a pretty tin as a gift are just the job! x

      Delete
  5. These look so pretty and festive. Love the sound of the vanilla sugar topping too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shortbread is a Christmas staple in our home too - nothing as fancy as these though. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so right, shortbread is the best and definitely CTs favourite. Yours looks so pretty and festive with the red and white. So many lovely photos. I'm on a fast day and looking at them isn't doing me any good at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These would be very welcome in my biscuit tin. I always like triangular shortbread the most for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look fabulous - you've inspired me to make some shortbread too. I do love it and it's been far too long since I last had any!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x