Sunday, 20 January 2013

Black Forest tray bake - recipe

This Black Forest tray bake was a thrown together affair and I made it up as I went along, I wanted a quick easy cake to give to some of the family yesterday; but it worked a treat and tasted good so here is the recipe...just keep an eye on your baking times...if its shrinks away from the sides and has no wobble in the centre its done.

I used frozen loose berries that I had bought from my local supermarket where they sell them loose, a packet or box of frozen berries will do. We ate this as it cooled after baking...the chocolate and sharp hit of some of the fruits were a nice mix.


Ingredients:
4 medium free range eggs - beaten
225 g soft margarine
225 g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla paste
25g ground almonds
50g cocoa powder
150g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
approx 400g frozen berries (Black/red currants, raspberries, blackberries - that type of thing)
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 170C fan. Grease a deep sided tray.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder in a bowl and then mix in the ground almonds. 3. Cream the margarine and caster sugar until pale and then gradually beat in the eggs, add a tablespoon of the dried ingredients mix if this starts to curdle. Add the vanilla paste and mix again.
4. Fold in the dry ingredients mix until just combined. Add the milk to loosen the batter.
5. Put the batter into the baking tray and spread out with a pallet knife or spatula. Add the frozen berries to the top as evenly as you can.
6. Bake in the oven for about 35 minutes.
7. When baked dust with icing sugar and cut into squares to serve.

20 comments:

  1. What a lovely combination... chocolate and berries. Looks delicious, I'm sure your family members love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks they did, ate the lot and it was a big one.

      Delete
  2. This looks so decadent and delicious. A perfect use for the frozen berries I have in the freezer. This seems very apt for today's snowy weather, as the snow falls like the icing sugar falling on to the tray bake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie, I pondered between melted chocolate for the top but icing sugar suited the weather as you say.

      Delete
  3. I love the way the berries sink into the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely looking bake, sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds lovely. Tart berries go so well with sweet chocolatey bakes. It looks delectable too and very pretty with the icing sugar dusting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A perfect antidote to the snow! I've no doubt this was a huge hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was...mostly eaten in one sitting...and it was a big tray bake. Thank you.

      Delete
  7. That looks gorgeous! I love chocolate and berries together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fab & gorgeously moist traybake, I just want to grab a fork right now and tuck in:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks lovely! Great photos of all the bursting chunks of berries and snowy sugar topping.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks incredible! Love the combination of flavours, great way to have Black Forest flavours without a complicated layer cake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that looks like a real treat of a tray bake - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe, thank you. According to my son ... "excellent"! I was not sure what size pan to use, so I chose 13" x 9 " and that was perfect. I used a combination of fresh and frozen berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex I am glad you enjoyed it, I think thats the size tin I used too.

      Delete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x