You can pretty much add any of your favourite things to this oat base and it will work, however, the hit of stem ginger when you bite into these is so fiery and tasty you won't want to change this for anything!
The trick to chewy flapjacks comes from baking them at a lower temperature and for longer...these are well worth the patience needed. If you like your flapjacks to be more on the crunchie side, turn up the heat of your oven and bake them for less.
These chewy ginger and cherry flapjacks keep well in a tin, and taste even better after a couple of days, if you can keep them that long!
(in all you need 500g of an oatie base)
225 g butter
100 g caster sugar
5 balls stem ginger - roughly chopped
120g glace cherries - roughly chopped
6 tbsp Maple flavoured golden syrup
2 tbsp syrup from stem ginger jar
2 tsp ground gingerMethod:
1. Grease and line a baking tin with a greaseproof paper. Pre-heat the oven to 150C fan.
2. In a large saucepan and over a gentle heat, melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup and stem ginger syrup together, mix with a wooden spoon to combine. Add the oats and ground ginger and coat evenly with the buttery mixture.
2. Add the chopped stem ginger and cherries and gently mix. Put the mix into the baking tray and press down into the corners and level the mix with the back of a metal spoon.
3. Bake in the oven for an hour.
4. When baked remove the flapjacks and paper from the tray and cut into individual flapjacks with a sharp knife (its easier to this before the flapjacks set cold).