Now is a great time to make a dish like this as some fabulous lemons and oranges can be found on sale.
This was the first time I had made a lemon tart, the flavours of this were amazing, the zing of the lemon was slightly off set by the addition in the recipe of the juice and zest of a blood orange (I used half of a large orange...I'd eaten all our blood oranges!).
My pastry crust came out a lot darker than Nigel's and now I realise why in the recipe it instructs to line the pastry case with FOIL and then the baking beans to bake blind...I used bacoglide instead. I realise now the foil would have stopped the pastry from colouring as much as it did. If you follow the recipe correctly you should not have pastry shrinking when you make the tart base, the recipe says this will happen if you add too much water to the pastry. Mine shrunk in a couple of places, but when the tart was baked you would not have noticed.
If you want to join Janice from Farmersgirl Kitchen and myself baking our way through Kitchen Diaires II in 2013 we would love to have you join us.
You can link up with either this blog or Janice's blog below this post. You can also see all the entires as they happen by following this challenge on Pinterest here.
- Make a 'Dish of the Month' from ANY recipe by Nigel Slater
- Link back to this blog or to 'Farmersgirl Kitchen'
- Use the Dish of the Month logo (above) in your post
- If you use twitter, tweet your post with @Heavenona_Plate OR @serialcrafter and #DishoftheMonth hashtag and we will re-tweet it to our followers.
- If you own a copy of The Kitchen Diaries II please do not publish the recipes on your blog without permission, they are copyright.
- If you are using any Nigel Slater recipes from the BBC Food website, please link to the recipe on BBC Food rather than publishing the recipe. Likewise with any of Nigel's recipes on the Guardian website.
- Only one entry per blog please.
- Recipes must be added to the linky by the 28th of each month.
And remember to add your Dish of the Month to the linky below this post: