Sunday, 24 February 2013

Elvis Presley's peanut butter and banana sandwich - Nigella Lawson recipe

This might not look like much, and its a very simple recipe that requires not skill whatsoever...but it tastes like heaven and if you have never made this please have a go. Just the once!

Its a recipe from Nigella Bites (by Nigella Lawson of course!) where she makes (in the trashy food chapter) Elvis Presley's peanut butter and banana sandwich... reknowned for being one of Elvis's favourite dishes this comes with a big health warning. As delicious as this sandwich is, it is (fried) cooked in butter which adds calories by the bucketful...correction... barrel full.

Not a recipe you want to indulge in all the time but for highdays and holidays its the one!

Nigella Bites is one of my favourite recipe books of all time, and I am always somehow drawn to the trashy section, the other fabulous tried and trusted trashy recipe in this book is for the fried chicken.

Making recipes from this book takes me back some years (over 14 years now in fact) to when I use to make this for a friend of mine (pictured), she would come and stay over at my house and we would eat it for breakfast, as a treat!

Happy memories of the laughs we had together and boy did we have some laughs!

To make this simply spread one slice of the white bread with peanut butter and add the banana either mashed or finely sliced. Melt the butter in a frying pan over a low heat. Put the second slice of bread on top of the first and press down. Add to the pan of melted butter and cook gently for about 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve!

Once you have made this and enjoyed it by relishing every mouthful, and wiping the runny salty molten peanut butter/banana combo from your lips, and your digestive system has fully recovered, you will need to get your trainers and gym kit on and get yourself down to the gym...or go for a run...a good 3 hour work out or jog should do the trick. If you need a nudge to get moving, just remember what happened to Elvis!
I am entering this indulgence into Sarah at Maison Cupcake's Forever Nigella challenge, which for this months (February 2013) challenge #23 is all about NOSTALGIA and is hosted by Urvashi on her Botanical Baker Blog. Urvashi has written a lovely post about the chocolate cake she makes for her daughters birthday.

9 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely, but I guess the gym part won't work.
    However, I will try this once I've got peanut butter and bread and bananas in the house again. Hm, did I run out on everything!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I would like this combination! By the way the letter for this month's Alphabakes is E, if you want to send this in? Details on www.themorethanoccasionalbaker.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I've never tried this Sue! And I can't believe the book is 14 years old - I remember buying it when it first came out. I've always wanted to try the ham in cola which I think is in the trashy section, too?! I MUST give it a go soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about the ham and have made that for over 10 years, every Christmas its fabulous! xxx

      Delete
  4. I love peanut butter and bananas and this sandwich looks like a heart attack on a plate but sounds like it would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as its now and then Ros its Ok I think, but when you eat it you do want another one. x

      Delete
  5. I love these. I love how the filling just ooooozes! Thanks for entering these into my nostalgia themed forever nigella. Loved the fact it was associated with memories of laughter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a Tennessee Girl, I should probably be ashamed that I haven't fried one of these yet. I do however, eat unfried pb&b sandwiches all the time. I really should make the leap to fried. I hope you will be joining us for this month's Forever Nigella.
    http://agirlinherkitchen.blogspot.com/2013/04/forever-nigella-colourful.html

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x