Sunday, 10 February 2013

Marmalade cake - Jamie Oliver recipe

This marmalade cake recipe is a great way to use up marmalade if you have made lots of it like I 'might' have or if you have marmalade that 'might' not have set too well either. OR you might just love the taste of citrus, oranges and marmalade flavours in cakes.

Either way this cake is lovely with a cuppa and just as nice with custard or cream or ice cream as a pudding. I liked it best the day it was baked when it was still warm.

The original recipe is from Jamie Oliver, I amended it slightly to suit our tastes, and the fact I only had 2 oranges and a vat of orange flower water to use up, you need 3 oranges to make the original recipe.

Ingredients:
200g unsalted soft butter
2 tbsp Demerara sugar
Zest and juice of one whole orange
1 further whole orange thinly sliced
1 tbsp orange flower water
200g vanilla caster sugar
4 large free range eggs
200g SR flour
50g ground almonds
about 6 tbsp marmalade (most of a jar)
(I used a homemade one that didn't set too well *sobs*, still tastes great though *cheers*)
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 170C fan.
2. Grease and line a round cake tin, I used a springform tin...make sure your tin is lined as this cake sticks hard to the tin. Sprinkle the Demerara sugar over the bottom of the tin and then place the sliced oranges on top of the sugar, I overlapped them slightly.
3. Beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then add the beaten eggs and 3 tbsp of the marmalade.
4. Fold in the flour, ground almonds, pinch of salt, zest and juice and orange flower water. Once combined put the cake batter on top of the orange slices, take your time.
5. Bake for about an hour, test with a skewer or cocktail stick.
6. Once the cake is cooled remove from the tin by inverting onto a plate.
7. While the cake is still warm brush the top with more marmalade
This cake is a lovely blend of citrus flavours, went down a storm here!

6 comments:

  1. How fabulous...this is guaranteed to brighten even the dullest of days, like today! I love the slices of orange on the top...along with the sticky syrup...yum! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, think I will make it with blood oranges next time if I can as would be stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Marmalade cake... so simple yes so damn tasty... and look at that pate of sunshine. It really couldn't be more perfect for today... has the sun actually shone at all?... beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, grey as dishwater here all day, except the radiant cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those oranges look gorgeous, so bright and sticky. I'm a recent convert to marmalade cakes, my goodness they are good and how lucky you have loads of marmalade to use up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. FABULOUS cake and I LOVE the oranges on top! How many jars of marmalade do you have left now???!! Karen xxx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x