Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Chocolate, marmalade and ginger cake - recipe

Its national marmalade week and here is a recipe to suit the occasion, not that we need an excuse to use up marmalade in this house!

This cake is packed with a chocolate punch as it contains cocoa powder and chopped dark chocolate too. Its a rich chocolate almond batter base with added marmalade, orange zest and chopped cristalized ginger. Its a great way of using up homemade marmalade in a cake, but the marmalade doesn't 'have' to be homemade.

In this recipe I have used marmalade from a jar of Mackays orange marmalade with champagne. Even though I love homemade preserves best of all, I could quite happily eat this marmalade, its a lovely colour and packed with fruit and flavour. These preserves are still made using traditional copper pan methods in Dundee, Scotland and Mackays are the only company to still do this.

Here is how you make this cake...
Ingredients:
150g soft butter
150g caster sugar
3 free range eggs
100g ground almonds
100g self raising flour
35g cocoa powder
100g plain chocolate roughly chopped
25g crystalized ginger chopped
2 tbsp Mackays orange marmalade with champagne
grated zest of one orange
icing sugar to dust
Method:
1. Pre heat the oven to 170C fan. Grease a fluted flan tin (mine was a 9 inch tin).
2. Cream together the butter and caster sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and beat to incorporate.
3. Fold in the flour, ground almonds and cocoa powder.
4. Fold in the marmalade, orange zest and chopped plain chocolate.
5. Spoon the mixture into a fluted tin and level out the top. Bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes. Dust with icing sugar once the cake has cooled.

This cake is best served warm with a huge dollop of fresh cream, trust me!


This post is not sponsored but I was given some marmalade by Mackays to take home and try a recipe with after the Worlds Marmalade Awards at the weekend. Hubby prefers the Vintage Dundee, which is a dark marmalade, but I'm an orange and champagne girl all the way!

16 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. Combining chocolate with ginger marmalade is such a good idea. Orange and chocolate are natural partners and I think that should also apply to marmalade. I agree that you would have to have some good thick cream to make it even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True but its the extra calories Laura, have to leave room for more cake.

      Delete
  2. This is a fab recipe. Your photography looks beautiful and we're so glad you managed to come up with a great idea to use our marmalade, for national marmalade week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. marmalade cake is my favourite but i'd never thought of including chocolate before... what a great idea... I love the look of the crumb of the cake too... it looks very unctuous!... gorgeous stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three of my favourite things in one cake - I just have to try this one !!
    It looks deliicious......I could just manage a large slice right now.....!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic cake, Sue! Champagne all the way, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks a wonderful cake Sue and your inclusion of ginger is inspired. I was planning on making a marmalade cake (with chocolate of course) for my mother tomorrow and now I think I might just add some ginger too.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x