Sunday, 7 April 2013

'Dish of the month' April - Nigel Slaters parfait of orange and lemon

Its not exactly cold dessert weather I know, but my 'Dish of the Month' this month is born form two dishes and two recipes from 'The Kitchen Diaries II' by Nigel Slater.

Firstly, we had half a hot cross bun loaf left over from Easter, so following Kitchen Delights example last month I made a hot cross bread and butter pudding from The March chapter of 'The Kitchen Diaries II'. It was quite good actually, and a particular favourite with chief taster who polished it off with custard.

Anyway, making that lovely spicy pudding left me with 3 egg whites, and with a pot of double cream in the fridge, a jar of lemon curd in the cupboard and oranges in the fruit bowl, I made this 'Heavenly parfait of orange and lemon' (p 162) again from 'The Kitchen Diaries II'. With one 'small' exception! In Nigel's recipe his picture of this parfait looked a bit *ahem* 'pale' so I thought I'd liven mine up a bit, and I added some apricot gel food colouring to my homemade meringues. I 'might' have made it a bit too lively...but it tastes fab so what the heck!

This parfait is very easy to make, I just made meringues with the whisked egg whites and caster sugar and once these were baked and cooled, I folded them into the whipped cream and other citrus goodies from Nigel's recipe. Because my meringues were homemade, they were nice and mallowy in the centre and crunchy on the outside, this added to the overall loveliness of the finished parfait.

If you'd like to join us in 'Dish of the Month' you'd be very welcome, this is how to get involved...
  • Make a 'Dish of the Month' from ANY recipe by Nigel Slater
  • Link back to this blog or to 'Farmersgirl Kitchen' 
  • Use the Dish of the Month logo (above) in your post
  • If you use twitter, tweet your post with @Heavenona_Plate OR @serialcrafter and #DishoftheMonth hashtag and we will re-tweet it to our followers. 
Rules:
  • If you own a copy of The Kitchen Diaries II please do not publish the recipes on your blog without permission, they are copyright.
  • If you are using any Nigel Slater recipes from the BBC Food website, please link to the recipe on BBC Food rather than publishing the recipe.  Likewise with any of Nigel's recipes on the Guardian website.
  • Only one entry per blog please.
  • Recipes must be added to the linky by the 28th of each month.
And remember to add your Dish of the Month to the linky below this post:

I'm also going to add this post to 'Credit Crunch Munch' as these recipes were born from using leftovers from Easter; frugal and tasty, its a win win all round. Credit Crunch Munch is run by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla at Fab food for All

This challenge is a great way to see how other bloggers get creative and save money with their cooking, so do look out for the round up of recipes below.

14 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! I can almost taste it and I think the colour looks great too, it's 'free-range egg' orange! Never heard of apricot gel colouring but it sounds very natural and good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely gorgeous. I have to say your version actually looks rather more appetising than the (ahem) original . . . but I know it will taste glorious!

      Delete
  2. what a gorgeous looking parfait... its a perfect parfait indeed!... love the colour, I can almost taste it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Susan, I was going to enter the "Dish of the Month" challenge for the first time this month and by amazing coincidence this was the exact recipe I'd planned to use. I made Nigel's Lemon Curd at the weekend from an old recipe out of the Guardian and this was the accompanying recipe in the article! Do you mind if I make the *ahem* 'pale' version, or would you prefer for me to make something else entirely? Vohn x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vohn, have seen the curd and it looks fantastic!
      Please make whatever you like, we are pleased to have you join us again and I am sure whatever it is will be great too. x

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog Susan. I am feeling all warm and happy right now! Vohn x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nigel has some fabulous parfait recipes. My hubby enjoyed the hot cross pudding more than I did!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I've ever had a parfait either but love the sound of the fresh cream contrasting the sweetness of the meringues and lemon curd and then the sharpness of the oranges - another winner from Nigel and I do like you colourful addition:-) Thanks for entering Credit Crunch Munch this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your parfait looks delicious! I love the sound of the citrusy flavours and even though it's not cold dessert weather, I'm just in need of something refreshing, so I'd quite like some of this right now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That parfait looks so scrumptious, even though it's cold and damp here, I think I would be very happy to demolish a slice or two of this right now.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x