Sunday, 14 April 2013

Retro baking - Sponge Drops recipe

Back in time for this recipe...way back to the future.

My favourite shop bought cake of all time (and they are few) is a 'sponge drop'. When I was a teen, a mere handful of years ago, my mother used to send me off to the local bakery for the seeking out of freshly made, would be called artisan now, meat and potato/steak pies, bread and cakes baked goods. Duly I would set off with list and monies and return with produce and for my own pleasure a 'sponge drop'.

It would be light and fluffy and filled with fresh cream, jam and dusted with icing sugar...though the best sponge drops had a crusty sugar top to them. I'd get home, devour an a steak pie artisan home baked item of choice and tuck into a fresh yummy sponge drop with a cuppa. Have never ever made them until very recently, as the thought one sprung to mind when driving past the said bakery...now gone and replaced with a sunbed shop, of all things!

I am very grateful to Nonna's Kitchen for helping me make sponge drops from her recipe.
In the words of Cher "if I could turn back time..."

..."I'd have another sponge drop"...me.
Ingredients:
3 free range eggs - separated
90g plain flour (sifted 3 times)
90g white caster sugar
150ml carton double cream
1 tbsp icing sugar plus more to dust
homemade jam/lemon curd
1 ripe passion fruit
Baking trays and greaseproof paper
Piping bag/nozzle
Method:
1. Pre- heat the oven to 200C fan.
2. Start by separating the eggs. Put the egg whites into a bowl and whisk until very fluffy. Then add the egg yolks and caster sugar and whisk again.
3. Sift the flour over the top of the mix very gently then, with a large spoon fold in the flour, be gentle as you want to keep as much air in as possible. Beware of pockets of flour, just fold gently until mixed in.
4. You can either pipe rounds of the cake batter onto greaseproof paper on a baking sheet. OR, just use a dessert spoon to drop the batter into rounds, use the spoon in a circular motion. try to get the size bigger than a macaron and smaller than a scone.
5. Bake in the oven for just 5 minutes. Leave to cool for a few minutes before taking off the baking sheet (use a plastic spatula to slide it underneath and gently lift them off.
6. While the drops are cooling whip the cream and a tbsp of sieved icing sugar into soft peaks.
7. Pair up the sponge drops prior to filling, this helps if you they are not a uniform size.
8. Fill a piping bag with the cream and pipe onto one of the flat sides of a sponge drop (the risen dome goes on the top upwards), add a teaspoon of jam, curd or fresh passionfruit on top of the cream. Repeat for all drops.
9. Add another sponge drop (flat side down) onto the top. Dust with icing sugar.
This will make about 12 sponge drops.
These are great as an afternoon tea dainty little sponge cake thing, you could fill them with lots of different things and add other flavours to the sponge such as lemon or orange zest.

10 comments:

  1. I had completely forgotten about these - what an enchanting happy memory. Lovely pic too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a misspent youth I led - not a sponge drop to be had anywhere. Love it that these came before the recent craze for whoopie pies. And what a delightful afternoon tea delicacy these would make Sue, they look just lovely and the addition of passionfruit is truly inspired. And what a dab hand you are with that piping bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing better than nostalgic baking, is there? I've purposely been looking for books I know my childhood treats came from so that I can recreate some of them exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant believe Ive never had these before! Clearly Ive been missing out, they look wonderful! I love the fact that such lovely cakes are made without needing a special pan, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love these! I like it when they have a sugary crust too. Great idea to add a zingy filling like passionfruit or curds as well as the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning Susan, Well what a treat to see drop scones, they are certainly a "turn back time" sponge. I had practically forgotten about them. I shall be baking these little lovelies as my mum, Phyllis, who is 82 years old will be visiting me during the summer and will love them.
    I have enjoyed my visit as I love cooking and baking and I have become a new follower.
    I would like to invite you to visit me at Ivy, Phyllis and Me! when you have the time.
    Best Wishes
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't plan to ever make these! I'm afraid I would like them *too* much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They sound absolutely delicious - really light and delicate. I can see why you like them so much!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x