Friday, 3 May 2013

'Dish of the month' May - Nigel Slaters' Spiced lentils and mint labne

This month its over to me to launch May's 'dish of the month'...our challenge to cook our way through The Kitchen Diaries II by Nigel Slater. I'm a few days late as its the 3rd May already...last month was a quiet month in the challenge but we still had some delightful entries, you can refresh your memory over at Janice's blog here, or you can see a pictorial version of where we are since we started in January on Pinterest here, and there have been some brilliant interpretations of Nigel's recipes since we began.

This month I decided to make spiced lentils and mint labne (May 27 and p221 in the book) its not something I have made before but it suited my tastes as unintentionally we have started to eat less meat in our diet, and I find I am more drawn to meals that are more vegetable or pulse based. So this just fitted the bill, I love lentils as it is and use them a lot in cooking, such a great source of protein, brown lentils were used to make this tasty dish.

Its very easy to make, just boil lentils until part cooked then make an aromatic paste with asian spices, fresh ginger and garlic and rapeseed oil. Add this to fried sliced onions and finish with chopped tomatoes and seasoning. The finished dish is dressed with (strained) yoghurt and I used fresh chopped mint as I bought the biggest most fresh fragrant bunch ever from my greengrocers. I used (Cotswold) rapeseed oil to blend my spices - this came in a box of food goodies I was sent to try.

I loved this recipe, it was delicious and spicy it made lots (it was a cheap meal) and I intend to freeze some and take it to work as lunch. I had mine with flat bread for supper. I can only describe as as another stunner from Nigel...but his recipes always are!

If you'd like to join us in 'Dish of the Month' you'd be very welcome, this is how to get involved...
  • Make a 'Dish of the Month' from ANY recipe by Nigel Slater
  • Link back to this blog or to 'Farmersgirl Kitchen' 
  • Use the Dish of the Month logo (below) in your post
  • If you use twitter, tweet your post with @Heavenona_Plate OR @serialcrafter and #DishoftheMonth hashtag and we will re-tweet it to our followers AND post your pictures on our special Pinterest board. 
Rules:
  • If you own a copy of The Kitchen Diaries II please do not publish the recipes on your blog without permission, they are copyright.
  • If you are using any Nigel Slater recipes from the BBC Food website, please link to the recipe on BBC Food rather than publishing the recipe.  Likewise with any of Nigel's recipes on the Guardian website.
  • Only one entry per blog please.
  • Recipes must be added to the linky by the 28th of each month.
And remember to add your Dish of the Month to the linky below this post:

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I love that it covers both these colder spring nights but still has something wonderfully warm and summery about it. Can't wait to find my Slater recipe this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha - I managed to get my entry in on time this month! (Don't know what I was thinking last month! Sorry, girls!)

    Am loving the lentils too - such a good recipe to have in your cooking repetoire. What do you think of the Cotswold Rapeseed Oil? I bought some at a food show a couple of years ago and am now a bit of a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only does this look delicious, I love pulses, but the dish you've put it in is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x