Wednesday, 29 May 2013

Fresh Bruschetta with parsley pesto - recipe

If you have ever ordered bruschetta in an Italian restaurant and haven't made your own at home you must. The combination of fresh flavours is amazing...these are so easy to make and will impress everyone. Just the thing when the weather is getting warmer (at last!).

I used a parsley pesto for my bruschetta, handy when fresh basil is not so accessible and I used walnuts instead of pine nuts (helps with the cost as pine nuts are so expensive). This parsley pesto is great tossed in freshly cooked pasta, 'if' you have any left over put it in a jar with olive oil and pop it in the fridge to keep for a few days.

I haven't really included much in the way of quantities for this as I just go with the flow to suit how many I am feeding or what I have in.
Ingredients:
slices fresh sourdough bread (see last post)
chopped vine tomatoes
olive oil
sea salt - black pepper
small tin stoned olives (black or green) - chopped
grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
Modena Balsamic vinegar
torn fresh basil leaves
for the parsley pesto
bunch fresh parsley (stalks included)
1 clove garlic
olive oil
sea salt
handful broken walnuts
Method:
1. Start with the parsley pesto. In a food processor add the parsley, a generous pinch of sea salt, the walnuts, clove of garlic (grated). Blitz until smooth then add olive oil until you get a spreadable paste.
2. Take the slices of sourdough bread, lay on a board then spread one side with the fresh pesto.
3. On top of this add the chopped tomatoes, chopped olives, torn basil.
4. Season with salt and pepper and finish with a drizzle of olive oil, a drizzle of Modena Balsamic vinegar and top with a generous grating of fresh Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.

The freshest/tastiest snack or starter or nibbles for drinks...ever!

6 comments:

  1. ahh man, my mouth is watering... I can't eat anything like this yet, so i'll just have to salivate over the beautiful pics... nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is such a simple and lovely recipe. Great photos btw.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum...what a great recipe and so nice that all the elements are homemade...it looks delicious but I must confess that I would have to omit the olives as no matter how hard I try I can't bring myself to like them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, that looks like something I could (and *would*) eat all day long! I can taste it already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so fresh and tasty Sue. Pesto is wonderful and I don't understand why I didn't know abut it until I was in my late 20s. Sage makes an interesting one with walnuts, as long as the sage leaves are young, but I think would be better suited to pasta than bread somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x