Sunday, 29 September 2013

Kickin' chicken - a recipe to give a kick to roast chicken

The first Sunday roast at home after our holidays and I want something with bags of flavour...not sure why but I always want to eat spicy foods when I get home...and beans on toast..why I don't know!

I love roast chicken for a roast dinner and normally a plain old free range bird roasted in the oven will do for me, but this week I really wanted something with more of a kick to it...so here is my recipe, which I have called 'Kickin' chicken. Its super easy and super tasty...and no free range hens were harmed when kickin' this chicken.

Read on to see what to do with the cooked garlic and onions...you won't want to waste any of these amazing flavours, trust me.
Ingredients:
1 free range chicken
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2tsp organic dried mixed herbs
1 tsp (smoked) paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp olive oil
Method:
1. Start by spatchcocking your chicken, this means you cut in in half (breast side down and cut it again to remove the back bone (spine). You need some tough kitchen scissors or a sharp knife to do this. Once the chicken has had its back bone removed flatten it out by pressing it down. The breast should face upwards.
2. Peel and slice a large onion and do the same to 3 cloves of garlic. Place these in the bottom of an oven proof dish, large enough to hold the chicken.
3. Place the chicken on top of the onion/garlic.
4. Make your spice mix by combining all the dry ingredients above with 2 tbsp of olive oil in a bowl. Give this a good mix and then massage the chicken with this spicy goodness.
5. I roasted my chicken in a 170C degree fan oven for 1 hour and 45 minutes.

We had our juicy spicy Kickin chicken with mashed potatoes and veggies...for an extra flavour hit pile you mashed potatoes high and make a well in the top...use a slotted spoon to add the baked onions and garlic to your mash mountain...

3 comments:

  1. I love your photography and styling for this fab chicken dish... I actually have chicken and all these spices... i may give this a go this week!, thanks for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous. I love what you have done here. I swear that the person who invented smoked paprika should have a holiday named after them, or perhaps a stamp! Lovely stuff.

    Totally agree with Dom on how you have styled your photos - the spice photo is an absolute picture, so to speak!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x