Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Golden sultana and apple cakes - recipe


These little cakes are the easiest thing ever, you can whip them up in minutes and they taste so lovely, light and fruity. Just the thing with a cuppa, and they are kind of small and dainty little morsels and would adorn any afternoon tea cake stand.

These came about when I was looking in the fruit bowl at 3 sad looking apples that were just about edible, I hate food waste, after all food is expensive enough in this country (don't get me started on that subject!).  Any excuse to use up things lying around..but what can I do with these apples I thought? Easy, bake cakes using 2 and eat the third one...they call this 'cooks perks' but it got me thinking as I was peeling my 3 sad apples...

While you ponder that one...here's the recipe for golden sultana and apple cakes...

Ingredients:
2 (sad bottom of the fruit bowl) apples peeled and finely chopped
25g golden sultanas (any dried fruit would work)
120g soft margarine or butter
120g caster sugar
2 free range eggs beaten
120g self raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
Icing sugar to dust
You will also need a baking tray - suitable for making fairy (bun) cakes - grease the little sections
Method:
1. Beat the margarine and caster sugar until they are pale and fluffy. Pre heat the oven to 170C fan.
2. Add the beaten eggs a little at a time along with the vanilla extract and keep beating, then add the flour and fold it in. Add the apples and sultanas and mix gently.
3. Put a generous teaspoon on the mix into each section of the tin.
4. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes - until golden. Once cooled dust with icing sugar and remove gently with a knife from the tin.

Unusually for me I am dedicating this recipe to someone, one of my followers on Facebook in fact, who asked me for the recipe...so Patricia Dugdale (a Lancastrian)...these are for you...I hope you make them and hope you enjoy them?


4 comments:

  1. These look lovely and light, just the thing with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delightful Sue and would be perfect to go with the cup of tea I am drinking right now.

    I don't think an adult has ever peeled an apple for me, I don't think I've ever even eaten an unpeeled apple. Was I neglected?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this sounds gorgeous, i love apple cake and looking for a nice recipe....

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful is the word !!
    They look quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x