Wednesday, 18 December 2013

Spiced orange bundt cake - recipe

This recipe is adapted from one by Paul Hollywood on the BBC food website...I tried this orange, almond marmalade cake at Vivien Lloyd's house recently and that along with making edible crystallised orange peel on the 'making edible gifts day' we had recently, gave me an idea for an adaptation...I have been also sent a gorgeous chocolate wreath by Hotel Chocolat for Christmas and wanted to try and recreate something akin to a wreath shape for Christmas in a cake...

This cake is decadent and inviting, spicy and warm and has lovely Christmassy fragrances from the orange and ginger and spices...just remember to move the bundt cake over to a plate or stand or board BEFORE you decorate it...as it makes life much easier that way.

Ingredients:
300g soft margarine
300g golden caster sugar
3 free range eggs beaten
225g semolina
110g ground almonds
1tsp baking powder
3-4 tbsp marmalade
3tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 large orange - zest and juice of
to decorate
150g dark chocolate - melted
2 balls stem ginger - chopped
pieces of crystallised orange recipe here
chopped chocolate flavoured with orange
Method:
1. Cream the margarine and sugar in a stand mixer then add the beaten eggs, keep beating to incorporate. Add the marmalade and mix.
2. Weigh out the dry ingredients and spices. Fold this into the batter and add the grated zest of one orange and the juice of the orange too. Mix again.
3. Put the batter into a well greased bundt tin. Bake in a pre heated over of 160C fan for about 40 minutes.
4. Once the bundt is cooled, move it to a board or a plate then decorate with melted dark chocolate, stem ginger slivers, crystallised orange peel and more chocolate orange chunks.

While you drool over this gorgeous cake, I'm off to tuck into my pretty chocolate wreath...hope your Christmas baking plans are going well...if its anything like this household the pressure is on!!!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh that looks fabulous!
    I received a beautiful new Bundt tin for my birthday last week and this looks like exactly the right recipe to Christen it for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing and I love how you've decorated it. Am also jealous of your chocolate wreath - hope you enjoyed it :) It's full on festive baking over here! Happy Baking and Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this recipe - I made it over Christmas and it was absolutely wonderful. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, my name is Francesca and I'm Italian. I stumbled upon your blog and I liked it because there are so many nice recipes that I would like to learn. I have joined your supporters. If you go too foul. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x