Saturday, 25 January 2014

The tastiest fish pie ever! - recipe


Fish pie is one of those traditional comfort food recipes that just ticks all the boxes all the time. It's a dish I never get tired of and when I make this and serve it for supper, or even for big family gatherings, everyone seems to enjoy and love a good fish pie. Even those people who say they don't like fish seem to like it.

If like me one of the household has a sea food allergy you can make this without the addition of prawns or scallops or whatever...if you don't have that issue to tackle the worlds your oyster. I like to use a smoked haddock in all my fish pies as it really adds to the flavour, use an undyed smoked haddock if you can.

I give my fish pies an added flavour by adding mustard to the mashed potato topping, and this along with a sprinkle of grated parmesan really gives it something extra. On this occasion I used a Maille (french) grain mustard.

Ingredients:
1 fillet cod
1 fillet smoked haddock (undyed)
1 fillet salmon
1 fillet coley
A pint of cheese sauce
Mashed potatoes seasoned with salt pepper
2 tsp Maille grain mustard
Grated parmesan cheese
Method:
1. Make a pan of creamy mashed potatoes to start, I love the Nigel Slater quote from one of his books when he is talking about mashed potato and says to 'add butter until it can take no more'. Once the mash is done add a couple of teaspoons of Maille grain mustard. You can add more to suit your taste if you like more of a mustard flavour.
2. I always cook my fish beforehand in the microwave, by putting the washed fish fillets on a plate and covering with cling film. I cook two fillets at once and they need about 1.30 minutes, depending on the size of the fillets and how powerful your microwave oven is. While the fillets are cooling on some kitchen paper get on with the cheese sauce.
3. Flake the fillets of fish into the bottom of an over proof dish, keep the pieces of fish big. Cover with the cheese sauce and fold the fish and sauce together with a spoon, be careful not to break up the fish any more.
4. Add the mashed potato and top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
5. Bake in a pre heated oven 180C fan for about 20 minutes.
6. Serve with seasonal vegetables; this fish pie will serve 4 hungry adults.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...if you have tried one of my recipes I'd love feedback, and thank you for taking time to pop by to read my blog.

Susan x